PDA

View Full Version : Plumbing closed loop, help.

reefgeek84
05/09/2006, 10:27 AM
Ok, so I am going to be plumbing my closed loop...My tank is acrylic and I do not want anything in my tank.

My closed loop with consist of a mag 9.5 and a OM 4-way squirt, what I want to do is have a bulk head in the back of tank and have the water pulled from there...will hooking the mag up to the bulk head create any problems? basically can I do this?

also I am going to have a sump and gravity feed it from the tank. Is there any issue with drilling a hole for a bulk head an inch from the top of my tank? any splitting issues or anything?

Please let me know guys.

sushiking
05/09/2006, 11:40 AM
I have drilled my tank as close as 1-2" from the top with no problems. Just do it slow and make sure the hole saw does not get "cocked" while drilling and you should be fine.

The mag 9.5 hookup is fine as long as it meets the required head and pressure/flow requirements.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7332355#post7332355 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reefgeek84
Ok, so I am going to be plumbing my closed loop...My tank is acrylic and I do not want anything in my tank.

My closed loop with consist of a mag 9.5 and a OM 4-way squirt, what I want to do is have a bulk head in the back of tank and have the water pulled from there...will hooking the mag up to the bulk head create any problems? basically can I do this?

also I am going to have a sump and gravity feed it from the tank. Is there any issue with drilling a hole for a bulk head an inch from the top of my tank? any splitting issues or anything?

Please let me know guys.

sushiking
05/09/2006, 11:41 AM
One other thing to consider:

I used to run 2 Iwaki 100's in my 300 gal reef tank as closed loop pumps. Closed loop pumps generally use more electricity than powerheads. I switched to Tunze Stream 6100's hidden in my custom build overflows....almost like a Vortech pump without the motor hanging on the outside of the tank. Good Luck!

reefgeek84
05/09/2006, 12:11 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7332809#post7332809 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sushiking

I used to run 2 Iwaki 100's in my 300 gal reef tank as closed loop pumps. Closed loop pumps generally use more electricity than powerheads. I switched to Tunze Stream 6100's hidden in my custom build overflows....almost like a Vortech pump without the motor hanging on the outside of the tank. Good Luck!

But I do not have overflows...

21Reefman
05/09/2006, 12:20 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7332809#post7332809 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sushiking

Any pics?? This is hard to envision, How did you separate the CL from the overflow?