PDA

View Full Version : Beginning 2-Part Dosing

RachelDex
05/09/2006, 10:38 AM
Mr. Holmes-Farley,

My ultimate goal is to have a SPS tank. My LFS stated that I should start dosing a 2-part that they sell before even thinking about getting into SPS. I think I have one or two small spots (ball-point pen tip size) of coralline algae growing on the glass. I cannot really tell, though when I clean the glass, the small spots do not come off and they have a bit of a whiteish-pink color to them. Is it ok to start dosing your "Improved 2-Part Calcium and Alkalinity Supplement" before having any corals at all? Do I follow the dosing schedule that is included in the recipe? Should I wait? If I should wait, then when is the right time? I apologize if these are silly questions. This will be my first foray into keeping corals and dosing anything other than invert food.

Only livestock in the tank at this time include 1 Mexican Turbo, 20 Nassarius Snails, 5 Blue-leg Hermits, and one False Percula. There is also about 50lbs of live rock in this 90gal tank.

Thank you for your assistance!

psimitry
05/09/2006, 11:18 AM
I know I'm not Randy, BUT....

I'd try to bring the live rock amount up to the point where you're getting 1 lb per gallon. On average, this helps ensure a better (i.e. more capable) biological filter. In addition, it will increase the diversity and amount of plankton you have in your tank (always a good thing).

As far as the dosing before adding corals, I disagree. I agree that you want a well established tank, but I don't think that dosing 2-part solutions has any part in that if you don't have organisms that will use the calcium or carbonates that will already be present in your salt mix.

Now that said, I do think it's worth testing your water and using a 2-part (either Randy's or something you purchase from the LFS) to correct your water to the correct parameters as far as Alkalinity, Calcium and Magnesium. But that in no way implies that you can "build up" a reserve of calcium and alkalinity in preparation for your adding of corals.

Hope this helps!

mg426
05/09/2006, 11:46 AM
I think I would get started now. Get into the routine of maintaining proper levels. Even without corals Coraline algae will use Alk/ca.

jdenton
05/09/2006, 12:15 PM
I began 2-part dosing about 6 months prior to acquiring any corals. I did it to boost coraline growth - and WOW - did it ever. I tested alk every 2 to 3 days and ca every couple of weeks (after daily testing for the first week or so). Of course the usage was very low at first, then increased as coraline growth picked up. It all depends on what your levels are and what is going to be using ca. Don't try to get to the high range of "normal" just target the middle. If you are in the middle range of alk and ca, wait and see what happens. Supplementation would be of no benefit yet in that case.

Randy Holmes-Farley
05/10/2006, 11:39 AM
There is nothing wrong with starting now. Coralline algae can use significant amounts, and if you dose based on the demand (using measured alkalinity as a gauge), then you'll be all set. It may not take very much now, but that is fine. :)

RachelDex
05/12/2006, 01:11 PM
Thank you all for your help! :D

Randy Holmes-Farley
05/12/2006, 01:59 PM
You're welcome.

Happy Reefing. :)

PatMayo
05/12/2006, 10:33 PM
RachelDex,
I agree with Randy and the others. I started dosing right away. I have a lot of coralline in my tank and was dosing 120 ml per day of Randy's two part number 1 formula. And the critical thing here is I have no corals yet. This was coralline using the product. I started on a 2 part commercial formula but switched to Randy's to save coin.

I now dose limewater and still have no corals. I am still working out the specifics of this method before I get corals.

I think it's very important to understand how to dose and how much to dose using different methods. Some work better than others it just depends on how you want to do it or how much you want to spend or work.

This may help as well.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/feb2003/chem.htm

Regards,

Pat