PDA

View Full Version : Is my clownfish sick?

FelipeBastos
05/09/2006, 11:22 AM
I have a pair of perc clownfish and one of them has been swimming in the same spot, slightly pointing down ( looking at the sand) all morning.

I have put food right in front of him and he hasn't eaten. All the other fish are fine, and eating well, including her mate, another perc clown.

No major changes recently, aside from a 10% WC 24 hours ago.

Any idea what can be wrong?

Size of tank is 55g, and I have had her for about 3 weeks.

Thanks!

loveclowns
05/09/2006, 11:52 AM
I've had my tank for about 1 month and we introduced 2 clowns in it (tank-raised). About 1 week ago, one of them started exhibiting behavior like yours has, so I kept a close eye on him. At times, he even hid in the rockwork.

Yesterday, he started behaving like the other clown, and nothing appears to be wrong with him. He's eating, sleeping and acting normally again. Don't know what was wrong with him though.

FelipeBastos
05/09/2006, 02:23 PM
Thanks for the answer, I feel slightly better now.

I definately don't deal well with fish death and am leaving town soon, so I am going to keep a close eye on her for the next few hours.

I can QT her if it needs be, but only if strictly necessary.

Skulldugery
05/09/2006, 04:51 PM
I had one of my perc's do something similar. It would just swim and stare straight down for a couple of days. It wouldn't eat, and we all know what that meant. Doom.

It developed what looked like Ich, with swollen lips as well. Keep an eye out for any other visual clues.

The whole process took 5 days.

abugs1985
05/09/2006, 09:36 PM
I've seen many percs exhibit similar behavior. Some just like to stay stationary and look straight down, this usually however ends up in death...especially those that become shy and hide in rock work. When they refuse to eat or be active eventually they'll become sick. Definitely keep your eye out for sickness such as Ich and velvet. If you get the chance, check the fishes waste. If it's white and stringy that could indicate an internal infection. Many times a swim bladder infection can cause fish to become inactive and very lethargic. Be sure you get him back to eating. For now I'd try offering some frozen brine dipped in garlic. What are you feeding it now?

edit - do you have true percs or false?

FelipeBastos
05/10/2006, 09:12 PM
I have true percs.

I went to the LFS and got some live brine shrimp, and that seemed to do the trick.

She ate A LOT and is swimming happily now.

Thanks for all the help!

abugs1985
05/10/2006, 09:22 PM
glad to hear all is well: )