PDA

View Full Version : wavebox breaking a tank!

reefnewbie54321
05/09/2006, 11:58 AM
I heard that the wavebox is so strong it could tear my tank/stand apart. I was thinking of getting it for my 120 but I'm not so sure now

beez
05/09/2006, 12:47 PM
I've heard that rumor too....I don't have a Wavebox (yet) but I've seen a couple in action and I'm kinda skeptical that it would damage a properly built tank. Has anyone actually seen this happen?

If you're worried about it, I would recommend using a Tunze 6100 Stream instead (or 2) in conjunction with the Single or Multicontroller. The controllers can ramp the pump output up and down and produce a wave effect, although it doesn't cause all the tank water to pull back and forth like the Wavebox...I have used these, and they're awesome. They give you a lot of water flow without any whipping currents

benf
05/09/2006, 01:28 PM
I have 2 6100's and a wavebox in my 120 and have had them in there for 8mos or so with no problems except appearence. I am thinking of placing the 6100's in the rocks or getting the deco rocks.

reefnewbie54321
05/09/2006, 08:33 PM
I am using the wavebox for a soft tank and it will be turned on low, I will have no use for streams.

I have heard two rumors ...

1st, it has torn tanks apart at the silicone seams
2nd, it has broken stands cuasing a tank flood

My stand is not made of 2x4s so it might be a problem.

rvitko
05/11/2006, 01:42 AM
It says in the manual that it can break a tank. The tank has to be poorly built or old or poorly suppported. I have yet to see this happen but it does shorten tank life and their is no way a surge type flow could not stress a tank.