PDA

View Full Version : Supplies list for new 24g Aquapod - What am I missing?

groovemcfly
05/09/2006, 03:34 PM
Greetings all

This is the current supplies list that I've come up with for my new 24g 70W Aquapod. Please list any suggestions and recommendations that you think will help this setup. Please let me know if I left anything out. Thanks

Live Rock - How many LB?
Live Sand - How much sand?
Titanium Heater 100w for the tank. What heater should I get for mixing the salt?
Net
Salt Mix - Instant Ocean
5g Bucket
RO/DI - What's a good RO/DI unit for this size tank?
Maxi-Jet 900 - Will this be good enough or should I go with the 1200?
Portable Refractometer
Checktemp Pocket Thermometer
Salifart Testing Kits
Nimble

Which light contoller/timer item should I get? I heard the Coralife Power Center wasn't too geat. Should I buy a Hydorflow?; I will be using the Maxijet. I probably won't need a skimmer right away..right? When the time comes to get a skimmer, which one would work and fit best on this system? Thanks

Brenden
05/09/2006, 03:47 PM
Live Rock - How many LB? 36-48 lbs
Live Sand - How much sand? 1" for looks 4-6" for DSB. personal preference.
Titanium Heater 100w for the tank. What heater should I get for mixing the salt? Cheap one for mixing water. Also two small heaters in the main is a good idea instead of one large one. (redundancy)
Salt Mix - Instant Ocean also personal pref. When you add corals later be prepared to add CA to bring it up to correct level. (I also use IO)
RO/DI - What's a good RO/DI unit for this size tank? Check ebay. keep in mind you will only get roughly half the output they say unless you buy a extra pump. I got mine from jimstrains.com
Maxi-Jet 900 - Will this be good enough or should I go with the 1200? 2- 900 would be ideal for a reef. a 900 or 1200 will be fine for FO
I would just get a reg timer from HD or lowes. Skimmers are always a good investment. I have no experience with small skimmers so someone rlse with have to help you with that.

groovemcfly
05/10/2006, 12:57 AM
thanks for the info guy. appreciate it

ZoeReef
05/10/2006, 01:02 AM
You will really enjoy the Remora. It is a hang on the back (HOB) and does the job. About $165 or so.

BE SURE TO ORDER ONE WITH A DRAIN LINE INSTALLED... if you go that path.

kenny77
05/10/2006, 01:13 AM
Im gonna suggest something about the sand mix. IO is a good sand but you will need to add some liquid calcium to bring it up to good levels. what is bad is tha, maybe one bag will will come up with 400 - 450ppm Ca and some other will only do a mix with 250-300ppm of Ca

Antoher choice, yes. Tropic Marine, somewere it it expencive but I haven't had any problem with Ca levels and coral are growing faster since they have a constant Ca level

groovemcfly
05/10/2006, 02:22 AM
will do. thanks

kau_cinta_ku
05/10/2006, 05:40 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7337716#post7337716 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kenny77
Im gonna suggest something about the sand mix. IO is a good sand but you will need to add some liquid calcium to bring it up to good levels. what is bad is tha, maybe one bag will will come up with 400 - 450ppm Ca and some other will only do a mix with 250-300ppm of Ca

Antoher choice, yes. Tropic Marine, somewere it it expencive but I haven't had any problem with Ca levels and coral are growing faster since they have a constant Ca level

:lol: sorry couldn't help but after reading it i was like sand mix? i know you ment salt mix though.

also for an rodi system check out purelyh2o systems much better than ebays units. trust me i have both kinds and purely units win hands down plus the coustomer support is top notch. you don't get that from ebay