PDA

View Full Version : How much difference does the ballast make?

HighestOlive
05/09/2006, 03:49 PM
Ok here is my question, how much difference does the ballast make in the overall output intensity of a MH bulb. I am running a 250W 14K Hamiliton. The ballast that I am using however is of unknow make. I bought it off of ebay and I think it was originally used in a horticulture setting. I don't feel that I am getting the full 250 watts out of my bulb ( how one can tell that is beyond me). I am wondering if there is ballast that might be better suited for these bulb, to increase the output. Does any one have any thoughts?

CMReefer
05/09/2006, 04:19 PM
If the ballast is from a horticulture application it most likely is not matched very well to a 14k bulb (horticulture bulbs are usually around 4500k). Electronic ballasts like the Icecaps are nice because they are designed for bulbs like yours, they are more energy efficient and run cooler, and they're silent, etc.

I sell a lot of the icecap ballasts and have never received a complaint. Just my two cents...

Danny

HighestOlive
05/09/2006, 04:43 PM
Does anyone have any recommendations on any specific ballast. I was reading over in the SPS forum, that some one was running a test and they got the highest light par from this bulb using the PFO HQI 250watt ballast. I don't know much about matching ballasts to bulbs so an exact model or better yet a link would be nice.

BigDaddyDeisel
05/09/2006, 04:47 PM
I have three MH SE 250W bulbs 10K on my tank. 2 are powered by a ballast like the one you have from ebay( I got mine from there also) and one is a Icecap electronic. The Icecap is significally brighter than the other two. And all the bulbs were changed together.
So much I'm thinking about getting two more Icecaps.

HighestOlive
05/09/2006, 08:13 PM
Is this the one you are recommending?

Icecap Ballast (http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=IC3161)

orlenz
05/09/2006, 09:14 PM
if you want an electronic ballast, look into the EVC before you buy, It has better specs than the icecap and is less expensive also.

zapata41
05/09/2006, 09:31 PM
ballast play a huge role in how a bulb will preform. look at all of sanjays testing to find out what the best 250w ballast is for that bulb. some ballast will run the bulb at 250w, some will underdrive them and some will overdrive them. overdriving ballast is like the HQI ballast. of course the bulb will push more par when it is ran at 300w

Tim

tripstank
05/09/2006, 11:39 PM
I love my Blue Wave III, but it is a magnetic ballast, which means it may overdrive a bulb and use more electricity. However, it is rasonably priced and plug n play.