PDA

View Full Version : green hair algae

junior5869
05/09/2006, 08:59 PM
I have 20g reef tank that contains three fishes, 2 anemones, a feather duster, a sponge and very little coral. My problem is that I have alot of green hair algae that grows uncontrolably. I don't think it's to much light, I already ruled that out. I feel that I have enough filteration and water movement. How can I get rid of this?

six.line
05/09/2006, 09:22 PM
Hair algae, and most all unwanted algae, for that matter, comes from unwanted nutrients in the system. Phosphates and nitrates are normally the culprit. If you test for these andd see what they're at, there's a chance that they're at zero because the hair algae uses them to grow. You can help yourself by getting a good cleanup crew consisting of mexican turbo snails and assorted hermit crabs. You can also use a sterlized, brand new toothbrush to scrape some away. When or if you do this, be sure you have a mechanical filter that sucks the free algae into a trap that prevents it from floating around and reattaching and regrowing. You can also help yourself by making sure that your top off and change water is RO/DI water and NOT tap water. Tap water is notorious for having nutrients that hair algae wants. You can also make use of a refugium that grows caulerpa and or chaeto. As a last and continuing measure, do weekly or bi-weekly water changes.

Hope that helps.

Blown 346
05/09/2006, 09:34 PM
If your lighting is old, new, that can also have an affect on lgae growth.
Snails and crabs are a good idea, but I would linit the turbo snails to 1 at the most 2. They get big and are very clumsy, they can knock over rockwork, corals etc.

fish_is_my_name
05/09/2006, 10:09 PM
all algae is a result of too much nutrient in the system. Cut down on your feeding

goda
05/09/2006, 11:03 PM
whats the temp. temp seems to effect the speed it grows. i lowed temp in my nano and now the rocks are hair algae free ( a week ago they were COVERED) and if anything there should be more since i got a fisha nd am feeding him ( before there was 0 input into tank)