PDA

View Full Version : flame hawk question

Deranged-Jester
05/10/2006, 12:21 AM
hey all,
i have a 60g mixed reef and i want to add a flame hawk. but im scared heh. can you guys tell me all you know about them? personal experience and just what you have heard. will they mow down my hermits and snails?

cardgenius
05/10/2006, 01:03 AM
Probably the best fish for personality. Ive had mine for about a year now with no problems. I have a wide variety of shirmp, snails and crabs and hes never touched them.

I also have a friend that has one and his will eat any kind of shrimp he puts in. Doesnt touch the crabs or snails though.

Ive heard that for hawkfish the flame is more on the doscile side.

Deranged-Jester
05/10/2006, 01:34 AM
sweetness...they were the first saltwater fish i wanted to keep. but every LFS says they eat hermits and such non stop... think he would eat a pearly jawfish?

BTTRFLYGRL
05/10/2006, 06:03 AM
They won't eat other fish:lol: They only get to 4" at the most

shawn1965
05/10/2006, 02:26 PM
The flame hawk is my (in my tank) favorite fish. He (or she) has a lot of personality. I was told by my LFS not to put them in with any other hawk fish. That the flame hawk is the most aggressive hawk toward THEIR own species. Just what the LFS told me.

BTTRFLYGRL
05/10/2006, 03:32 PM
I would say the Arc eye and Freckled Hawkfish are more aggresive than the Flame...but none should be kept with their own kind [same species]

moogoomoogoo
05/11/2006, 10:05 AM
make syre your tank is covered.Many in this forum including myself have found them dead on the floor. Mine never bothered the snails or clams.

Bret61081
05/11/2006, 06:02 PM
Ive had moine for about 6 mnoths with snails, hermits and shirmp with no problems. Great little guy with lots of personality! a fellow reefer has a arceye and a flame in the same sps tank and they were even hanging out in the same coral while we were ther....but it was a 210G tank! not sure how theyd mix in a smaller tank...