PDA

View Full Version : 18G tank question

savager
05/10/2006, 09:11 AM
I have 18G AquaVie tank at home. I have a clown fish and neon goby in there and few corals and a clam. I had this tank for awhile and now I like to raise something different. I was thinking about getting seahorses for my tank, of course I will give away my current fishes first and just setup seahorse tank.

My question is, what kind of seahorse I can put it in my tank and how many? Do you think I can keep my current clam? What about my current corals? I only have Kenya Tree, Anthelia, Yellow polyp, and open brain.

I want to get a tank raised seahorse and I am hoping to get the one which is ready to eat frozen food.

Thanks.

pledosophy
05/10/2006, 10:18 AM
18g is kinda small for a horse tank, but do able. 29 would be better. An 18 is just alot of maintence IME.

You would have to remove your fih and the clam. The Kenya tree is fine as is the yellow polyps, and the anthelia which is a fancy word for xenia if I rember correctly. Gotta ditch the brain.

Make sure you get aquacultrued seahorses, not just tank raised.

Fishfirst
05/10/2006, 10:31 AM
how much headroom on that tank? What species were you considering?

savager
05/10/2006, 11:20 AM
My tank is 20" long and 20" height. I have medium size aquafuge hangon refugium, that's like 2 or 3 Gallon.

I was thinking about dwarf seahorses but I heard it's nearly impossible to get them eat any frozen food.

Is there any seahorses that can be raise in my tank size and they can be trained to eat frozen food?

Oh btw, I heard you need a chiller? Is this apply to all seahorses? I can maintain my tank to be around 79ish but it's really hard for me to lower than that temperature.

Anyway, I always take long time to setup anything anyway. I will research more and read this section for next few months before I decide to go with seahorses or just upgrade my tank and get the seahorses that eat frozen food.

CodyH
05/14/2006, 11:55 AM
Dwarves are too small for an 18g.

If you cannot get your temperature below 79, you will need a chiller for any species of seahorse.

72-76F is optimum for species such as erectus and reidi.
Those 2 species are widely available and usually are trained to eat frozen mysis when captive bred.

Like Kevin stated, ditch the brain, clam, and clown.

garvondavis14
05/14/2006, 08:35 PM
yeah, if you are runnin' your tank at 79 you're more than likely going to be battling problems with disease and such the whole time