PDA

View Full Version : Salinity effect on corals?

vonburch
05/10/2006, 08:14 PM
I recently added a sump to my tank. After filling it and running it I must have not used water with and equal salinity. MY tank salinity went from 1.026 to 1.024. My corals all seem to be looking pretty bad. My fish however look fine a maroon clown and a yellow tank all seem just fine. My frogspawn, leather, zoos, colt, and ricordia all look like they are in shock. closed up and it's been about 4 days now. I was wondering if anyone has seen this happen and will they recover. I really haven't made any water adjustments at this time because I don't wan't to put anymore stress on them.
Thanks

Salty Brother
05/10/2006, 08:19 PM
they should recover, that isnt to big of a change, top off with salt water to get is back up

Blown 346
05/10/2006, 08:20 PM
Slowly bring the salinity back up, over a day or two. It is totally normal for corals to stay closed with a change that is sudden. But they are all strong and hardy corals, give them some time to adjust and they will be fine.

Brenden
05/10/2006, 08:22 PM
They should be fine. Fish will def be fine as long as it was not a quick increase. I would not change the salinity until you saw a improvement like you suggested.

vonburch
05/10/2006, 08:23 PM
Thanks. They all just look so bad. Still have color but really shrivelled up. I'll just slowly bring it back up.

Sk8r
05/10/2006, 09:03 PM
It's not the reading, but the rate of change that shocked them. Corals, however, do slightly better at 1.025 than 1.024.