PDA

View Full Version : Beginner Fishy Paparazzi

VengefulSakhmet
05/10/2006, 10:18 PM
I'm utterly obsessed with taking photos, but cannot get the hang of taking tabloid worthy fish voyeur photos. I have a Canon PowerShot S500 Digital Elph and continually get blurry photos, which do not resemble fish in the least. Even my serene cleaner shrimp looks odd. Does anybody have any tips on how to improve my photo shoot results?

gregr
05/11/2006, 10:13 AM
Hi-
You're probably getting blurry photos because of slow shutter speeds- you can try using the higher iso's but that might not get you enough speed and will definitely make your pictures grainier.
Using the flash may be your best bet- just be sure to aim the camera downward slightly to keep the flash from bouncing off the glass back into the lens. Familiarize yourself with how to set [negative most likely] flash exposure compensation because many cameras have a tendency to overexpose these kinds of shots.
If you want to experiment some- give manual exposure shooting mode a try. For a starting point try iso 100, f4 and 1/90 of a second and see how things turn out. See if the flourescent wb setting works better for you when in manual exposure [with flash] mode too.
And post some pics! :D
Greg

VengefulSakhmet
05/13/2006, 01:21 AM
Thanks so much. I actually now have a couple of good photos. I just wish the wrasse would stay still for a photo op.

astrogazer
05/13/2006, 11:00 AM
feeding can help bring out their 'best side' :)