PDA

View Full Version : harvesting Chaeto How to ??

jumpincactus
05/11/2006, 01:46 PM
Ok I know this sounds like a no brainer. Harvest means to pick and use. But really how do you go about determining how much chaeto to remove at a time? I started with three clumps about the size of tennis balls about three weeks ago in my fuge.

How do I know how much to remove without overdoing it so that what is left in the fuge will continue to do its job of taking up phospahtes and nitrates.

Blown 346
05/11/2006, 01:49 PM
I usually just let the stuff grow until most of the fuge area is full. Then I just pick what i dont want and sell it to my LFS or on this board. There are alot of people that are always looking for it.

You say the word chaeto and its like opening up a soup kitchen.

theop
05/11/2006, 02:59 PM
I wait until it fills its area, then take out half.

Cprowler
05/12/2006, 12:19 AM
I agree with theop and I think if you cut it instead of pulling it apart it stimulates growth.

mthedude
05/12/2006, 08:20 AM
I just pull mine apart but I do think cutting is a better option. I just reduce it to 1/2 it's original size when my fuge is full. Not many in my area that are interested in it so sadly mine dries out and gets tossed.

Cprowler
05/12/2006, 08:27 AM
I have a hard time getting rid of it too, havn't had to throw any out yet. I have a guy coming over this weekend for some, I think I'll cut it this time and see if there is a difference I have always just pulled it apart too.

jjmatti
05/12/2006, 08:34 AM
How long does it take for it to grow? I have had some Cheato in my fuge for about 1 month and it hasnt grown all that much.
I am running a Coralife mini lamp which is 9watts of 10K and 9 watts of Atinic during the day. and then a Daylight Flourescent bulb that puts out 150watts on the opposite timing at night.
Any suggestions??

Cprowler
05/12/2006, 08:56 AM
It's hard to say, there are so many variables.

Lighting - type, intensity, how close to the water, duration

Flow - how much flow through refugium, some say lots some little

Bio load - how much waste is your tank producing

I would be happy if the NO2, NO3 & PO4 are at 0 and have little growth. That is my situation, after I cut it back it will take months to re-grow.