PDA

View Full Version : Feeding corals

RevRoy
05/12/2006, 09:07 AM
I have a 50gl tank with 4 96watt PC lights 1 is actnintic and the other 3 are 10,000k.

I just got a frog spwan, a small frag of green star polyps, and some shrooms.

I plan on adding more stuff as I go, but need to know do the frog spaw and star polyps require any feeding or do the feed of the light only.

if they do require some extra feeding then what and how?

I have a BTA that i feed shrimp to about once a week. with the light and the shrimp it has been doing well.

gflat65
05/12/2006, 10:11 AM
Most photosynthetic corals will do fine with no supplemental feeding, but you're LPS types (and some zoa types) will eat if you feed. I quit feeding my GBTA due to split and it is doing fine without supplementation.

theop
05/12/2006, 10:37 AM
When I started feeding my frogspawn I noticed more growth and head division. If you want them to grow faster, then feed them. For my Frogspawn and other LPS, I fed mysis shrimp, but you could feed it small pieces of whatever you feed your BTA. The same for mushrooms, although it may be difficult to keep the food on their mouth long enough for them to attach to it.

GSP's are probably going to grow if you feed them or not. I fed my zoas, yellow polyps, and GSP's cyclopeze. The fish ate the zooplankton as well.

Pickupman66
05/12/2006, 01:42 PM
Feed corals? well I guess you can. I guess my Frogspawn gets fed when I feed the tank with cyclopeze. I have not targeted it however. I am afraid if I do, the fish will tear it apart trying to get to the food. little piggies they are. my polyps do like it when I feed frozed foods. they are in a pretty good current area and you can definately see them close up on foods. I feed a mixture of emerald entree and frozen cyclopeze.