PDA

View Full Version : Continuous water changes/ small batch

salreus
05/12/2006, 01:48 PM
Randy

in your article you said "In doing batch water changes of 2% or less, aquarists need not particularly worry about the changes in the water parameters that will result, as long as the new water is of reasonable quality. For example, a 1% change with new water at 55°F from a basement reservoir will change the aquarium temperature only from 81°F to 80.74°F. Differences in salinity are also unlikely to be significant."

How does this apply to using an air stone in the make up water. Is that needed? I usually drop a mag 2 min my 40 gal tub to move the water around to mix up the water. But this isn't adding any air. What is the importance of using an air stone in your water change water? is it for the water movement or to add air? is this needed in continuous/small batch?

Randy Holmes-Farley
05/12/2006, 02:07 PM
I wouldn't bother to aerate it, except the stirring to get it dissolved. Even if the water had no O2 in it (very unlikely) a 2% change would drop seawater at 6 ppm O2 to 5.9 ppm.

salreus
05/12/2006, 05:05 PM
That is just what I was thinking. Thanks so much for your assistance and FYI. I have gained so much knowledge from your articles.

Randy Holmes-Farley
05/13/2006, 06:34 AM
Yopu're welcome and thanks.

Happy reefing. :)