PDA

View Full Version : Diary of a 10 gallon Hexagon Tank/ 30gallon System

kenny77
05/12/2006, 02:07 PM
Hi everyone. I finally end planning what how the system will be, and here it is. Here are a couple of pictures and diagram of what will be a the 30g system for a 10g hexagon display tank.

Here is the victim
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v342/ratpack77/2006_0512FishTank0003.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v342/ratpack77/2006_0512FishTank0004.jpg

Here is the closet were part of the system will be in. But first got to finish the Beefeater
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v342/ratpack77/2006_0512FishTank0005.jpg

Here is a small diagram of how the system will work and some of the equipment

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v342/ratpack77/Nanosystem3.jpg

My favorite feature of this system is the fuge. As you can see it is divided in 4 section. I plan this for the only purpose to have a clean and easy to work with fuge. I’m gonna divide the section with Tank Divider.

Tank Dividers (http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=9837&Ntt=divider&Ntk=All&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&N=2004&Nty=1)

The Fuge and the Sump will be in the closet. The sump will be in the floor and the Fuge will be on the third rack, leaving the second rack free for other stuff like test kits, buckets food.........

I’m gonna cut this tank devider to about 4-6" just to keep the macro separated, specially the Caulerpa and the chaetomorpha.

In the first section I will only have about 5-10# of LR rubber. The second one I will keep Mermaid's Fans and Shaving Brush ( this 2 don't help a lot on reducing nitrate but do like them :D ), the third section will have Caulerpa, and the last section I will keep chaetomorpha. I choose to keep the chaeto on the last section since the chaeto tends to be the home for mysis shrimps and pods. This one they can make the one to the tank faster.

For the Fuge I will have a Smart Paq Retro fit kit for eclipse that I believe is 65#. Maybe I will had some Home depot bulbs to intensify the light.

As for the Display it is a 10g Hexagon tank (actually freshwater). Since I will have a DSB on the fuge I will only put about 1/2- 1" of sand around the rock, just for aesthetic purpose. I will try to fit more than 10# of LR and not compromise free water space. Aquascaping on this tank will be a all day job. For lighting I am ordering a Aqualight Advance Series HQI Metal Halide Fixture 150W.

For skimmer I hope I can fit a Coralife Super Skimmer 65 with a Quit one Pump 1200 as a return pump and still have enough space to at least install 2 baffle.

kenny77
05/12/2006, 02:08 PM
Any comment or sugestion are welcome.

timschmidt
05/12/2006, 02:15 PM
Curious on why both Caulpera and Chaetomorpha? Aren't you worried about the Caulpera going sexual and nuking the tank? Otherwise this looks awesome!!

kenny77
05/12/2006, 02:20 PM
Good question!

Thinking abuot this is why I design the fuge like this. Normally many people have a fuge wer the caulerpa grows were ever it want to stick and grow there and the chaeto floating. In case that the caulerpa goes sexual, it is easy as just taking it out with out trouble. I don't plan on putting any rock or rubber in the caulepa section just for this. And if it stick to the tank divider, thay are easy to take out, just pulling the out. Another reason why I didn't choose acrilic and glue it to the tank.

timschmidt
05/12/2006, 03:42 PM
OK sounds good to me. I love the idea, are you going to cover the tanks on the shelves? If so It seems a shame to hide the fuge (would look cool with some crabs/cucumbers...IMO)

DarkXerox
05/12/2006, 04:19 PM
One thing that I would suggest would be to have the skimmer in the same chamber as the overflow water. I have mine in there and then have the output of the skimmer go right into the baffle system. It helps eliminate microbubbles and also helps make sure that you skim only the dirtiest water.

I really like your fuge idea though. That allows for pods and other crustaceans to freely flow into the tank and feed all the inhabitants.

Also I say go with a bigger display. With all that equipment, you should go with something larger if you can.

kenny77
05/12/2006, 04:30 PM
timschmidt

YEs it going to be cover. I have some folding doors that I was suppost to install month ago but why? with out the doors I know how much party supply I have left.

Any way Im gonna cut them so when they are close the fuge will look like an In wall tank. To acomplish this Im gonna paint the doors with the same color of the wall.

DarkXerox

That is a good Idea. So all I have to do it to glue the baffle just in the middle? The thing about this is that the return area volume will be less and evaporation will be faster. But it make sence since this way(as you suggest) the water will be skimmed and then it will past to the retun area. Im thinking on making the baffle from Tank Dividers and seal the little hole. this way I can change were the baffler are if I need more space in the sump.

About the display sice. I know this is a lot of stuff for a small display. well I choose to do it this way because I will defenetly upgrade to a JBJ 24g. But for now it won't hurt to have a sump twice as big as the display. I hope this work and make the water crystal clear and water quality in good levels.

sorry my spelling if afoul

midknight
05/12/2006, 10:37 PM
Great layout, keep the updates coming.

Jabrams
05/12/2006, 11:52 PM
check out my 20g hex in "my gallery"

kenny77
05/13/2006, 12:01 AM
I like the aquascpaing. I will try to do some kind of U form on teh aquascaping leaving space betwenn the walls but if not I will just do the "wall" aquascaping

allen00se
05/13/2006, 02:39 PM
Im not sure if I missed it but the drain from the main tank into the sump needs to be an overflow. Otherwise there will be no way to exactly match water in, with water out. If they arent matched the tank or sump will eventually overflow.

DarkXerox
05/13/2006, 03:37 PM
Yeah the return volume will be lower, but since your sump is large enough, it shouldn't be that much of a problem. You can even use an "L" tube on the intake of the pump and angle it down so that it pulls water from even a lower level if it becomes a problem. But if you keep covers on the tanks, evap shouldnt be too bad.

kenny77
05/13/2006, 04:27 PM
I forgot that detail. The im gonna drill the tank from the buttom and intall a gray PVC pipe. Im gonna cut the pipe at 1.5" of the top of the tank. Water will over flow into that pipe down to the sump. This is the only way I save space in the tank.

kenny77
05/13/2006, 04:42 PM
here is an updated diagram. I forgot to explain how the water gonna drian to the sump. Well here is the diagram. as you can see it will be a very simple method like the one used on LFS for there system. I really don't have space for an over flow box in the tank.

sorry for the size of the diagram

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v342/ratpack77/Nanosystem11.jpg

kenny77
05/15/2006, 11:28 PM
well after reading and looking at other nanos I have an Idea of what i will like to keep in this tank.

here is the list

True Percula Onyx Clowfish pair ( from Rod's )
Royal Gramma

I know that a 10g it small for 3 fishes but will help having a 30g system. at least I know that I won't have problem with bioload but what about space?

I plan this tank with the vision of upgrading soon to a bigger tank but still nano but for now I will like to establish this 10g and then move everything ones it is well established.

kenny77
06/14/2006, 12:01 AM
wow I haven't pots in a while. Updates are coming soon. There is a lot of pic to post, from breaking down the freshwater and moving everything to another tank to building the sump, fuge wish is almost there and plumbing that it the next thing. still wating for skimmer, pump and mh ligh

BTW There is gonna be a surprice since I deside to use the 10g hex tank has the main tank but, the fuge(20g), sump (20g) and a 20g...... With this the System will be not 30g, 60g in total. that will be 50g on extra tanks to run a 10g hex. jejejej I know it sound ridiculous but I like to think big and with this I can upgrade any day to a 75g-100g tank. who knows?