PDA

View Full Version : Keeping tank temp down in summer

chocolates mom
05/12/2006, 02:56 PM
First thank-you to everyone who has answered my previous questions, your help has been awesome! Could you please let me know what my options are for keeping the temperature consistant in my tank during the summer months? I have a 55 gallon tank. I am assuming that a chiller is the best but also very expensive? Summer temps will be about 80 - 90 degress outside.

Agu
05/12/2006, 03:01 PM
What's the temp inside the house ?

A clip fan plugged in the lighting timer worked for me to cool a 180 gallon tank.

Cprowler
05/12/2006, 03:41 PM
The clip fan plugged in the lighting timer should work fine.

Do you have a sump and do you have MH lighting?

I just have my fan blowing across the top of my sump but the top of the tank works too. If you don't have MH lighting that should be more than enough to keep things cool.

Keeping the house cool will help too, me and my wife work and with no one home in the day and the windows closed the house would be hotter that the outside on some days.

chocolates mom
05/12/2006, 04:37 PM
Didn't think about a fan, that will probably work. Believe me Cprowler it gets a lot hotter in Abbotsford than Vancouver, what part do you live in?

Cprowler
05/12/2006, 05:24 PM
I live in White Rock actually and we get the cool air off the ocean, I work in Abby some days and know what you mean. All the hot air just sits in the valley.:smokin: We just had a new furnace and central A/C installed today. :cool:

I take it you don't have MH lighting so you should be fine.

ASaleem91
05/12/2006, 05:28 PM
My tank just started to warm up. It went upto about 92 degrees. I stuck a clip on fan in there running 24/7 and now the temp stays around 76 degrees.

ASaleem91:rollface:

xlayedoutx
05/12/2006, 05:56 PM
Yeah this is an issue that I'm worried about to. I'll do anything I need to do except buy a chiller. I was about to go out and buy one of those tower fans but if a clip on fan is going to work then thats that much better and cheaper. Average summer temp here is about 95-98 with a few days at 105-110. A few years back we had a month average 102 but we keep our house at 78 when my lights are on and 80 the rest of the time during the day and morning and 82 late night when were sleeping.

familyreefer
05/12/2006, 06:19 PM
I just installed two 250 watt MH on my 135 gal and the LFS only had one fan in stock. The fan was installed in the hood blowing in across the water surface. Temp was 76 at night and 82 at the end of an 8 hour photo period. Second fan was (finally) installed last night(also blowing in) the back of the hood is open. Tempp has been at 75 degrees all day! Who needs a chiller!?! two 30 buck fans and I'm nice and cool.

dwagner11
05/12/2006, 06:30 PM
I agree with most all of the replies you have gotten thus far, I use clip fans, and to their fullest extent! They are much more economical and most are fairly quiet, when compared to the noise of a chiller. My friend has one on his tank and the noise just drives me nuts. Make sure to run at least on fan across the surface of your water, and one across the sump. You will face elevated evaporation, but evaporation = cooler temps. Best of Luck!

chocolates mom
05/12/2006, 07:36 PM
Do I get a clip on fan at the LFS or the hardware store? I am picking up new lights tomorrow. I think there is some MH tubes in there and some other lights, won't know until I pick them up.

Cprowler
05/12/2006, 08:45 PM
I got mine at HD for around $12 I think.

dtm1tampa
05/12/2006, 09:50 PM
Believe me, clip on fans work... I have a 90g tank outside on my lanai, I bought 3 of these from Overstock... 6" Clip on fan (http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?PAGE=PROFRAME&PROD_ID=973546)
I've had to turn my heaters on a couple of times because the temp was nearing too low.

Although theses fans will not be able to keep up with the Florida heat (I do have a chiller on stand-by, waiting to turn on) they definitely prolong having to turn on that chiller and raise that electric bill...

Dan

xlayedoutx
05/13/2006, 12:05 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7357110#post7357110 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dtm1tampa
Believe me, clip on fans work... I have a 90g tank outside on my lanai, I bought 3 of these from Overstock... 6" Clip on fan (http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?PAGE=PROFRAME&PROD_ID=973546)
I've had to turn my heaters on a couple of times because the temp was nearing too low.

Although theses fans will not be able to keep up with the Florida heat (I do have a chiller on stand-by, waiting to turn on) they definitely prolong having to turn on that chiller and raise that electric bill...

Dan

Just wanted to make sure I read this right. You have your tank outside?

dtm1tampa
05/13/2006, 09:52 AM
That is correct... Outside...

bad santa
05/13/2006, 01:30 PM
If you have a Wal-Mart near you you check out the fans that are on this thread. I bout one after I installed my PC lights and it cooled my tank from 86 to 82 degrees. I have the fan set up to turn on and off with my actinics. I have it in my sump and its virtually silent. I'm going to be buying another fan and put it on the top of my tank to keep it cooler in the summer.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=834201