PDA

View Full Version : Looking for new fish

mntl
05/13/2006, 09:38 AM
I have a had a Starkii damsel and a black-cap basslet for quite some time. About a month ago the Black-cap started to show signs of ick, As of yesterday both fish are dead. They were fat and got along very well and were always following eachother around, so I am kindof bumbed.

In about a month I will start looking for a new fish (let the ick pass), The display tank is small 20/20/12" and is BB with quite a bit of flow, there is a sump for added volume. The tank is all sps with a couple of zoos, the rockwork is very low in the tank with a few nice caves/tunnels that I cut into the rock specifically for the basslet. I keep the water column very open. I feed alot as it seems to help with coloring of my acros and I do not keep inverts. Rocks have no algea to graze on, light is high but pods are all over. The tank is rimless and open so If it a fish wants to jump nothing is stopping it.

I am looking for one to two fish, I do not want clowns. I really liked the black-cap basslet and I noticed the yellow assessor basslet is similiar, would these guys be alright together assuming there are 3-4 caves to hide in? I liked the starkii a lot but I think I lucked out finding a Black-cap and a Starkii that got along and did'nt show agression. I have also looked at one male and one female fasher, but as mentioned jumping is an issue. I am looking for recommendations on a unique pair or single fish, price is not an issue and if a single fish is recommended but would need babying I can provide it (assuming my current environment is adequate). Heavy feeding or specialized feeding is not an issue either, I prefer to feed alot.

Also is there anything with similiar coloring to a starburst anthias? This has been one of my favorite fish for awhile and I would go with a single one of these but my tank is small.

-John-

ozadars
05/14/2006, 04:11 AM
You can try a trio of threadfin cardinals. They look beautiful together. They are not jumpers and quite hardy.
Shrimpfish are very unique creatures also and you can keep a trio of them too. However, not a lot known about them.
Corythoichthys species pipefish might also do well in a reef tank without aggressive corals and anemones.

hairymushroom
05/14/2006, 07:04 AM
seeing that price is not a problem..
www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=171

or how about a mystery wrasse
www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=355

my personal faves

mntl
05/14/2006, 09:12 AM
Thanks for the responses!!

ozadars--Very cool!! I have never seen those, I will definately look into them. I am also looking at some pink smith's damsels, maybe 5 of them due to them naturally living in acro reefs and moving in packs, Great suggestion.

HairyMushroom--Helfrichi's are great accept for they are known jumpers, my tank is open and rimless, so the glass ends about 3/4" above the water and there is not guard. The mystery wrasse is too big for a <20gal tank. They are both very pretty and I can get both from my ocal shop at a good price, but they will be on the floor.

Any other suggestions, the cardinal was a great recommendation, any other options similiar to them?

-John-

hairymushroom
05/14/2006, 09:47 AM
how about the court jester goby? really nice colouration
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=164