PDA

View Full Version : Is there anypoint in upgrading the skimmer on this tank?

delta410
05/13/2006, 09:56 PM
10gallon tank with a CPR bakpak skimmer. Would there be anypoint in upgrading the skimmer on this tank? I mean, upgrading it to one of the higher brand skimmer such as h&s, deltec..etc.., will it be pulling out more stuff then the CPR bakpak in such a small tank, or will the CPR be maxing out the tank already?

HornetMech242
05/13/2006, 10:13 PM
I would only upgrade if the tank has more waste than is being removed. The bio load on the tank affects how much skimmate is made. I Got a via aqua multi skimmer and the amount it skimmed was directly related to the bio load. Also you have to take into account if you are going to upgrade from that ten gallon. Ten gallon is not very big and will fill up fast if not full already. If I was you then I would just upgrade the entire system. I have a 26 gallon and that is too small in a year. I am just waiting to I get my first house to get a big system.

Chris

delta410
05/13/2006, 10:28 PM
I guess my question really was, can the higher end skimmers skim anything the lower ones cant?

Given that the CPR is pretty much skimming all it could out of that ten gallon, would a higher brand name skimmer take anything else out that the CPR would have missed?

xtrstangx
05/13/2006, 10:37 PM
Yes, it would skim better, significantly more? Probably not. Is it worth the money? No.

Ironsheikh
05/13/2006, 11:54 PM
you can buy a 55g tank at petsmart for $100 nowadays -- id rather do that then a skimmer upgrade for a 10g

delta410
05/14/2006, 01:03 AM
That wasn't my situation, I was just using it as a example, to see how skimmers work.

I wanted to know if you tried two big skimmers in a very small tank (two different tank), will the superior one skim more then the other one, when both can easily handle that tank size.

or to put it in a more easy way to understand. If one skimmer can handle the bio-load in the tank just fine, will adding a superior skimmer do any thing?

sjm817
05/14/2006, 07:13 AM
I would just do more water changes on a small tank like that.