PDA

View Full Version : Ro/di unit problem

enutees
05/14/2006, 07:07 AM
I bought a used Kent Maximma ro/di unit. It needed all of the filters replaced which I did and some of the tubing and fittings were missing as well.

I replaced all of these. I believe I have them all connected right based on earlier questions and pictures.

My problem now is that when I turn it on. The product water comes shooting out really fast (about a 10 foot spray) with almost no wastewater. I followed my hoses and the hoses definately go in order.

I've had an ro unit before with no problems.

Let me know what you think it could be. Thanks in advance for the help.

sinking
05/14/2006, 07:47 AM
if alot of water is coming out the good water line and a little water is coming out the good water line.. sounds to me like you have the waste water line and good water line mixed up

sinking
05/14/2006, 07:49 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7363426#post7363426 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sinking
if alot of water is coming out the good water line and a little water is coming out the good water line.. sounds to me like you have the waste water line and good water line mixed up

up all night.. need sleep.. i meant if alot of water is coming out the good line and not so much out the waste water then their probably mixed up

Larry Waughon
05/14/2006, 08:23 AM
I would go back and make sure your filters are pushed in all the way. Sounds like water is bypassing filter.

AZDesertRat
05/14/2006, 10:01 AM
Re seat the membrane in the housing. Its probably not pushed in all the way.

enutees
05/14/2006, 10:29 AM
I thought about them being switched, but it is a ton of water (10 foot spray) and almost none out of the waste (a few drips a minute). I'll try to reseat the filter but it felt like it seated well and it went in the required depth as stated in the instructions.

Is there any other fittings that could be missing that would cause this? Since it was a used unit I'm not sure what is supposed to be there.

Thanks for the replies.

sodaman
05/14/2006, 11:46 AM
Could it be the waste and good water are switched and you don't have a restrictor valve installed? Do you have a pressure gage installed? If I open my flush valve it will operate as you mentioned with the exception that I have tons of waste and only drips from my "good" water.

btkrausen
05/14/2006, 12:44 PM
Same thing happened to me when I first purchased an RO unit, which I had no experience with. Water was coming out so hard from the blue line, that I had to clip it to the tank to keep it in. I thought it was normal, until I opened up the top part where the membrane is, and found there was no membrane, and there was not one in the box. I put in a lot of water in my big tank, which was probably just tap water as a replacement for evaporation. Tank looked like crap until I got the membrane going and replaced A LOT of water within the next month.

Make sure you membrane is pushed in all the way, probably why its coming out so fast.

xinumaster
05/14/2006, 12:52 PM
Same here. When I first got my rodi pure water was coming out so hard. Found that the ro membrane was not there. I inserted a new ro membrane and now I'm just getting about 60gpd. Check if you have ro membrane inserted in correctly.

AZDesertRat
05/14/2006, 12:52 PM
Even if the lines were switched you would not get a 10' spray. You should see a constant 1/4"stream from the waste and a steady drip to a very slight stream from the product line depending on the size membrane you installed.

sodaman
05/14/2006, 02:28 PM
It will spray if there is no restrictor installed won't it?

enutees
05/14/2006, 02:33 PM
What kind of restrictor do I need? Where can I buy one in a hurry?

I have everything done on my 60 cube and I'm waiting to fill it. I'm about to start going to the grocery store and getting water there.

AZDesertRat
05/14/2006, 03:28 PM
You need a flow restrictor on the waste line that is matched to the size of your RO membrane so you get approx 4 to 1 waste to product water ratio. Try contacting www.purelyh2o.com or www.airwaterice.com and telling them your problems including descriptions and they can fix you right up.