PDA

View Full Version : Hydor rotating output

Catharsis70
05/14/2006, 08:39 AM
I have one of the Hydor rotating outputs and it stops turning every few days. I have taken it apart and cleaned it several times now and it makes no difference. Is there a min flow rate or something to keep it turning or do they just kind of suck?

DrBDC
05/14/2006, 08:48 AM
I used mine a week or two and just got rid of them. Got to a point where I would have to get them turning multiple times a day even after cleaning. :thumbdown IMO

Catharsis70
05/14/2006, 09:49 AM
Thats what I was thinking. I have the Zoomed powersweeps too and with a little tweaking they run pretty consistently. How about the SQWD or the other "higher end" units? Any better?

Arik
05/14/2006, 10:42 AM
I had the same problem, and the issue was that the white plastic axle was too long. The water pressure pushes the black nozzle away from the gears, and they start to slip or stop completely. I think that these units vary a lot from each other, because a lot of people never have this problem.

Sk8r
05/14/2006, 10:50 AM
I considered this unit, and ended up getting a sea swirl, which has worked like a charm. Big difference in price, but I'm happy with it.

wtac
05/14/2006, 05:20 PM
I heated the white axle a bit w/a lighter to spread the split a bit wider. Never an issue in the past 4 months...knock on wood.

HTH

Catharsis70
05/15/2006, 01:01 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7366096#post7366096 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by wtac
I heated the white axle a bit w/a lighter to spread the split a bit wider. Never an issue in the past 4 months...knock on wood.

HTH

are you talking about the part that connects to the front of the black nozzle?

wtac
05/15/2006, 03:30 PM
Yup...sry for the confusion :).

smells like fish
05/15/2006, 05:57 PM
I've once used 2 Hydor flos on my sump returns for several months. I had no problem with them. I don't use them now, because my sump is no longer hooked up.

For powerhead users looking for an alternate rotating device, check out the diy swirler-stein thread. It's cheap <$25, but of course you have to spend the time to build it.

diy swirler-stein (http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=799971)

Catharsis70
05/30/2006, 01:11 PM
Great info all thanks.
What sort of position do other Hydor users have them in? My tank is sort of shallow and if I run it horizontaly it blows the sand all over on the down turn.

Serioussnaps
05/31/2006, 11:24 AM
Ive used two in tank. Never had this happenwith them. I got one that just didnt work and returned it for one i never had a problem with. Time will tell. they are obviously little cheap pieces of plastic so you cant expect lifelonguse or anything

gussy
06/05/2006, 12:26 PM
Yes, mine stopped turning after a few months. Some earlier than others. I routinely cleaned them every few months and it works for a few of them. I've had a couple that will not turn anymore even after the cleaning. I think the gears get worn off easily.