PDA

View Full Version : New tank overheating.

rkelman
05/14/2006, 11:20 AM
Hey all I'm new at this.. I just setup my tank this weekend and My tank temperature is getting high. Its only 78 right now but I can see it's going to be a problem as we get into warmer weather. I know its the lights overheating the tank but what I dont know is 1: How long do the lights need to be on? and 2: My light just sits on 4" legs on top of the tank its not a big plenum type thing. Any suggestions? I can post pics of my setup if required. Thanks.

Bebo77
05/14/2006, 11:29 AM
put a fan on the lights to help cool them down that will help alot... is there a canopy that the lights sit in or is it open top?

2 what size is your tank? you may need to get a chiller if it gets too bad..

AZDesertRat
05/14/2006, 12:31 PM
Remove any glass tops over the tank. Lighting cycle is dependent on what is in the tank, for corals maybe 10 hrs, for fish it doesn't matter its just for your viewing pleasure more than anything.
Get a 6" clip on fan from Wal Mart and have it blow across the waters surface from end to end and it can lower your tank 5 degrees easily.

rkelman
05/14/2006, 03:20 PM
Thanks for the replys. My lights are a Coralife 36". Its enclosed (the ballast / bulbs) it doesn't cover the entire top of the tank. There are 2 small fans in one end of it and 2 fan sized holes in the other. Maybe I can add 2 more small fans? My tank is 65 Gal.

Scuba_Dave
05/14/2006, 03:30 PM
What kind of lights? PC, MH, Mix, wattage?
I run my lights about 8 hours a day

A 7" clip on fan is a great addition to blow heat away from the tank

rkelman
05/15/2006, 04:14 PM
My light has a 10,000k 96 watt and a actinic 96watt bulb. Thanks.