PDA

View Full Version : need suggestions on a 75 gal setup(pickup on Monday)

texasarrowhead
05/14/2006, 03:49 PM
Ok I am going to pick up 75 gal setup 2 hrs.away Monday.When I get the tank back in order I want a pair of clowns and a Amemones.
Equipment includes:
Jebo 256 watt power compact light fixture. Includes two 64 watt 10K daylight lamps and two 64 watt .03 actinic lamps.
Not sure if the lights will keep a anemones so can I add more lights or ditch the Jebo and get better lights?What would be the min. I need to keep a anemones?

Sealife Systems wet/dry filter rated for 75 gallon tanks. Hang on tank 600 gph overflow box, spaflex tubing, and Rio 600 gph return pump included.
Coralife Venturi Super Skimmer rated for tanks up to 220 gallons. Runs on Cap 2200 800 gph pump.
Is this wet/dry filter and skimmer ok? Or is there a better brand?I think thats the part That I don't understand is all the name brands of products.I would like any opinions as what I should add or replace.Please give name brands.

Livestock:
Around 75 pounds of live rock. Includes Figi, Tonga branch, and Tonga slab. Many unusual shapes and sizes that have been in the tank for over four years. (I'm going to add more)
Two inch thick sandbed. Very well established.
Caulerpa and Cheato macro algaes.

Serpeant star fish, Conchs, snails and crabs( I want to add a pair of clowns and anemones.Thanks any opinion welcome

fsa
05/14/2006, 07:41 PM
texas, most people will tell you not to run a wet/dry in a reef aquarium. It causes higher nitrates. I've read suggestions to take the bioballs out and convert it to a sump. Never had an anenome, so can't help you there, although I've read that they do need lots of light.

I think the hard part is going to be moving it. Make sure you have the equipment/help to move it. It does sound like a pretty decent set up to me.

Luck Frank

bheron
05/14/2006, 08:48 PM
sounds like an ok setup. def get rid of the bioballs in the wet dry if there is any. but otherwise you can us it fine. dont worry about brand names for the wet/dry.

as far as the skimmer, theres endless information on them here and too much to just point out a few good brands. id saw run with what you have and see how the tank goes before changing it out.

as far as the lights and an anemone, most likely the 256 of PC will not be enough. the best bet is to go for MH (Metal Halide) if you want anemones. some lower light types can take less light. PC might work in those other cases. or maybe T5 flourescents.