PDA

View Full Version : sand help

brwn_id_girl
05/14/2006, 06:38 PM
I really need some knowledge about how much live sand to order. I have allready ordered some agralive which i'm beening told is a waste of money. BUT does that mean i should not use it because there is nothing good in it OR is it OK to use it and maybe just mix in some LIVE SAND that I can call and add to my order that has not been shipped yet.I ordered 100lbs of agralive and if i order some LS how much should i mix with it or is this even needed. i wanting a 2to 3 inch bed with also 100 lbs of LR and its beening shipped tomorrow.

brwn_id_girl
05/14/2006, 07:03 PM
yep still here

fsa
05/14/2006, 07:17 PM
brwn, aragalive is supposedly a bacteria (only) loaded sand, meaning that it should help your system cycle somewhat quicker/faster. It is not "live sand" in the sense that it has "critters" such as worms, copepods, etc, in it. Generally, the "live sand" with the critters is what most people want in their aquarium if they have a deep sand bed.

I just recently redid my tank and did use a bag of the aragalive sand along with a bottle of "Cycle" to cycle my tank. I used these two because I added all new "base" (dead) sand and rock (completely removed all of my old stuff and added all of this new stuff) and; therefore, I had no bacteria at all in my tank. I also added my three fish and a few polyps, mushrooms, snails and crabs at the same time. (I had no place to put them). I had a relatively short, easy cycle as they all made it through the cycle. I credit this to the aragalive and Cycle somewhat (along with water changes/light feeding). I'm just trying to explain what the aragalive is for.

If, I had had the money, then I would have used all aragalive sand just for its pure white feature. I can not get white colored sand around here where I live. So, I have a top layer of white sand (my aragalive does have some black mixed with it) on top of a gray colored sand (sandblasting sand). I really did not have a big choice. I think the aragalive sand is also a "carbonate" (right word?) based sand that will help (supposedly) with your ph.

As far as ordering live sand? I think that I would order some (if you have the money) to add to the tank. But, I enjoy looking at a lot of the life in the sandbed. How much to order? I've never ordered any, but I would think the more, the better. What poundage can you order it in? I would think 10-15 pounds, minimum? Again, just a guess.

Maybe you will get more/better feedback than what I can give you. Good luck and enjoy your tank.

Frank

brwn_id_girl
05/14/2006, 07:17 PM
does anyone have any thoughts on this i've got a 14 year old about to die to use this modem

brwn_id_girl
05/14/2006, 07:19 PM
cool thanx

brwn_id_girl
05/14/2006, 07:21 PM
what do ya think of me canceling some of the agralive and doing like a 50-50 mix of sand and agralive

killingseed
05/14/2006, 07:26 PM
i am going to the 50/50 or so i bought the Quikcrete play sand today, i saw the kolor play sand at walmart but it was colored red or blue i was going to take another look at 2 or two more walmart before i use the Quikcrete. was thinking about mixing it with agralive. or atleast a 15 or 20 bound bag.

my tank is up and running and i wil have to switch :<. so i hope its worth it my self