PDA

View Full Version : Remora Prefilter?

swoop_ds
05/14/2006, 10:19 PM
Hey everybody,
I have a remora protein skimmer(it might be the remora pro, I don't remember which I bought and I've long since thrown out the box). I have three quick questions:

1. Does the 'prefilter box' improve the remora?

2. Can I use the cheaper remora prefilter box on the the remora pro?

3. How can I tell if I have a remora pro or not?

Thanks,
-Dave

mg426
05/14/2006, 10:43 PM
I never used the prefilter box with mine I did however make a surface skimmer out of some PVC tube with a elbow. It seemed to help a bit. Nothing major just a bit darker skimate. The Remora pro is 20 and 5/8ths of an inch tall. Just the brown body not including the collection cup.

unmc2001
05/15/2006, 06:15 AM
I used one on my remora for a while and didn't feel like it made any difference. I felt it was a waste of money.

fours2many
05/15/2006, 08:33 AM
I like it now that i have customized it. I had to make the outflow side higher so the water would not spill over the sides and right back into the inflow side. It works great now. I have no stuff on top of my water like I did before. One thing you have to watch for though, if you do not have an automatic refill for the tank, you must adjust the skimmer box. It is easy to do, just pull it higher when you add water or lower it as water eveaporates.

If you have a dirty surface water problem, like I did, it helps. Now tank is clear, surface is clear.

unmc2001
05/15/2006, 11:06 AM
I had that problem too when I had it on my tank. if you don't keep up with the water top off it can easily run dry.

swoop_ds
05/16/2006, 10:44 AM
Ok thanks guys, I guess I won't be getting one. I might make a surface skimmer though as mentioned above.
-Dave

jefathome
05/16/2006, 11:00 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7370157#post7370157 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by unmc2001
I had that problem too when I had it on my tank. if you don't keep up with the water top off it can easily run dry.

I took a Dremel and made the slots a little deeper.
It still skims the surface, but I have more room for evaporation before the "sucking" starts.

dippin61
05/16/2006, 04:44 PM
my wifes works really well.. takes the surface scum out...

heres a little tip.. on the back of the prefilter box, drill 2 small little holes about the size of an eraser, one above the other, about half way down the box. that way water still gets in through the holes if your water level drops a little, so you dont have to keep up vigilant water top off. yet the holes arent big enough to let too much water in so your surface skimming still works.

works like a charm.