PDA

View Full Version : How concerned should I be about pH this low?

rocknut
05/15/2006, 03:58 PM
I have had my new tank setup for about 2 and a half weeks now, and have been fighting a really low pH since the very beginning. I have been using Marine Buffer for the last week and have only gotten an increase from 7.5 to 7.7 during the day. The problem is, my ALK is now up to 14 dKH, so I don’t really want to add anymore. Should I be overly concerned about this? I don’t have a clue as to why it’s so low, the only thing I can think of is that the Instant Ocean I got just mixed up unusually low. I have removed a glass of water from the tank and let it sit for a few hours, and am getting the same readings from that. My pH probe seems to be working fine, and I just calibrated it to be sure. I am not running a calcium reactor, so no CO2 is leaking into the water either. I have good water flow, and adequate skimming as well.
So, how concerned should I be? I think I’ll have bigger problems if I continue to use the buffer and my ALK goes any higher…
Thanks,
Rocky

Here’s the tank specs:
20 gallon tank
maxi jet 1200
Argonite sand bed

10 gallon sump
ASM mini skimmer

Randy Holmes-Farley
05/15/2006, 05:03 PM
Forget the buffer. It is never a good way to raise pH. All it does, as you found, is boost alkalinity. Limewater and aeration with fresh air are the best ways to raise pH. Using a high pH two part additive WHEN calcium and alkalinity are needed is also a reasonable course of action.

This article has more:

Low pH: Causes and Cures
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-09/rhf/index.htm

rocknut
05/15/2006, 05:31 PM
Great! Thanks Randy!!

Randy Holmes-Farley
05/15/2006, 06:11 PM
You're welcome.

Good luck. :)