PDA

View Full Version : minimum feeding

EB847
05/16/2006, 10:55 AM
to keep phosphates in check, what is the longest period I should wait between feedings? How can I tell if I am starving my fish?

ellio
05/16/2006, 12:07 PM
The health and welfare of your fish should be your number 1 priority. Learn as much as you can about your particular fish and its' feeding requirements. Don't starve your fish to keep your tank looking pristine.

Kaiser Tang
05/16/2006, 12:33 PM
It's not how often you feed, it's how much. Only feed your fish what they can pick out of the water before it floats away to someplace the fish can't get to (i.e. between rocks, into the overflow). That way the food is not just sitting in your tank rotting. Feed twice a day to every other day. IMO, it's better to under feed the fish than over feed. You'll be able to tell if your fish are getting enough. But feel sorry for them if they appear to "beg" for food every time you approach the glass. You definitly wind up over feeding then. Their "begging" is a conditioned response and will always happen. A tang's empty stomach is very apparent. Tangs' bellies pinch in when empty.

Kaiser Tang
05/16/2006, 12:35 PM
Typing Correction:

But DON'T feel sorry for them if they appear to "beg" for food every time you approach the glass. You definitly wind up over feeding then