PDA

View Full Version : How Often Do You Add DT's or Phytofeast?

Craig Lambert
05/16/2006, 01:07 PM
And How much do you add per gallon?

whiirly
05/16/2006, 01:17 PM
I voted never but I think the food I buy from my Fish store has it
I dont know exactly whats in it but it feeds my whole tank
and every thing in there seems to love it

HowardW
05/16/2006, 01:24 PM
I feed 1 oz. of DT's to my 55 gal. 3 times a week.

vessxpress1
05/16/2006, 03:11 PM
I feed DTs in the amount recommended on the bottle. 4 tsp, or 20 mL for my 38 gal., 2 or 3 times a week. It says on the bottle that there isn't much point in feeding less or less often...like you may as well not at all. If you ever go to DTs website, they're pretty serious about live phytoplankton....and not real keen on phytofeast, but that's another battle. Don't want to hi-jack the thread. I tend to take their word based on everything I've read.

Buster4900
05/16/2006, 03:36 PM
I would think a reef tank would be overwelmed with disolved food and waste that adding phyto would just pollute the water more?

Sk8r
05/16/2006, 03:37 PM
I give it a good squirt daily in my 55. I have a bottle of each, and frankly like Phytofeast better. I have lots of pods, support a mandarin, and also a crocea clam.

jer77
05/16/2006, 04:19 PM
I can never seem to get a population of pods going even though I add DT's three times per week. It seems like its not doing anything. I add it to a 55 gal. It does have a mandarin in there and I think he ate all of them, but I still have places with live rock where they can breed. When I add the DT's it just seems to dissapear and not do anything.
However I do add DT's and cyclop-eze to my other tank and it was full of pods before I took the sandbed out. Now I'm trying to get them re-established in the sump/refugium.

Craig Lambert
05/16/2006, 04:25 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7378874#post7378874 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Sk8r
I give it a good squirt daily in my 55. I have a bottle of each, and frankly like Phytofeast better. I have lots of pods, support a mandarin, and also a crocea clam.

That's the reason I asked. I have a green mandarin. My tank has 100 lbs of lr and a dsb. I seaded the tank with an inland aquatics detrivoire kit about 4 months ago, and have quite few pods. I also bought 4 bottles of copepods from copepod.com, and have added 2 of the bottles to the tank and fuge. I'm just trying to figure out the right amount of phytofeast for really good pod propagation.