PDA

View Full Version : Yellow clown goby munch on SPS polys?

Palani
05/17/2006, 03:23 AM
Hey, I was noticing that when my yellow and green clown gobies perch on some of my SPS colonies, they kinda nip at it. Does anyone else notice them nipping at your corals?

crzy4reefs
05/17/2006, 06:39 AM
they can nip at sps corals its what they do......for the most part i don't think they do alot of damage to them but everyone has different experiences.........but yes they live in or on and nip at sps coral

vthondaboi
05/17/2006, 11:12 AM
melev had one and he ended up siphoning the little fellow right out

Fishfirst
05/17/2006, 11:26 AM
they aren't doing any harm

Palani
05/17/2006, 11:46 AM
well from what I noticed, the SPS's with the largest polyps has recceded totally. No, zip, nata polyp extension what so ever. Since they are worth more than $5 I took them out this morning. They will be going into my friend's softies tank. Sorry, but corals are first for me.

Palani
05/17/2006, 11:47 AM
and they call them "reef safe."

Jeremy Blaze
05/17/2006, 02:13 PM
They are pests in an sps tank. DO a search or browse through the sps forum. They can an will harm sps corals.

coker98
05/17/2006, 03:25 PM
i want to tell you that I TOLD YOU....... you finish the rest:)!!!

mark97r6
05/17/2006, 05:53 PM
I had a pair of Safron coral gobies. By a week after there introduction most of my SPS polyps were never out and in a month they completly bleached out the coral they lived in as i couldnt catch them.

It was a green slimer acro measuring about 8"s across!
IN A MONTH!!! Nope them little buggers are gone!

Mark

drouner
05/20/2006, 07:46 PM
I have an acro that my two yellow clown gobies hang out in. They have seem to made a bare patch on the arco. I have never seen them nip at the the acro.

I have been watching them closely for a few days now. It seems one has gotten huge. The smaller one is sitting up in the acro on this patch. I picked the arco up to night and

I am going to be a daddy!!!!

JENnKerry
05/21/2006, 11:29 AM
They seem to do harm when there's a mated pair in an SPS tank. They like to lay their eggs within the branches of certain Acros.

Flyfisherman
06/10/2006, 05:22 AM
I put a bunch of Fishdoc's frags in my previously coral free nano last night. My yellow and green clown gobies went to town on the frags. They were just burying polyp after polyp as they moved and perched from 1 frag to the next.

I gave the yellow clown goby a second shot in my larger tank and it was the same story, if not worse as he worked the larger acro small colonies I have. I now have both sitting in the net in prison.

It was amazing to see the fish feel even more at home and act more like it would in the wild. Sadly though, I don't have large enough colonies to house the gobies at this point. There is no way the frags could handle this abuse. Off to the fish store these little guys will go.

I have to say, yellow clown gobies are fascinating though...I never thought I would like a 1.5 inch fish so much but these guys are cool...If you don't have SPS, get one, especially if you have a small tank. They are very entertaining. I swear the yellow guy never slept even at night, he was always bouncing around....Very cool fish, especially for size...