PDA

View Full Version : question on sump??

nimo1969
05/17/2006, 04:05 PM
I made a sump with rubber maid buckett and I have the live rock in it ???

I do have refugium ( lr,ls cheat n caulerpa) The tank is 150g and fish only + live rock n live sand ( it has about 100lbs of live rock and 80- of live sand ) The sump I made is only 25 g with a big live rock 20lbs ( big boy) I do have a overflow and a pump so its fine ,,,,,,,,,,, I still have room for live rock and not sure what I can put in to it ...please give me ideas .. ( bio balls maybe fish ) not sure .. if bio balls can they swim around the sump ??

nimo1969

joelowrider
05/17/2006, 08:51 PM
just put more live rock in it

kgross
05/18/2006, 02:14 AM
You don't really need anything else in there. I would not add bio-balls since you don't need them. Either add more live rock, or just leave it open for more total water volume.

Kim

Blown 346
05/18/2006, 04:29 AM
I second the no Bio balls as they will only cause Nitrate problems down the road by trapping detritus.
More liverock wouldnt hurt anything but act as more of a filter. Just make sure to siphon the detritus that does build up so you dont have problems.

You could even do this and make things even easier on yourself.
When it comes time to do water changes, whatever liverock is in the sump( rubbermaid cont.) Shake off the rock in the water to loosen up the detritus. Then just siphon all the junk and water out of it, and add fresh saltwater. Then you have your water change without using buckets etc.