PDA

View Full Version : need help with dipping sps for AEFW using TMPCC

nemofish2217
05/17/2006, 05:38 PM
well, a blue milli i owned had a AEFW or two. I got them off(outside the aquarium) and actually threw out the coral because i didnt have any QT to put it in, and i didnt want to put it back in the display.

Well, i got my tropic Marin Pro-Coral cure today, and i need to make sure i am right about how to go about this.

1.) I am going to dip all od my acros in the solution, to see if any AEFW's fall off. If they dont, then ill be in the clear, right?

2.)If i do see even one, i should QT for about 14 days, right?

3.) when i QT them, how often should i re-dip them? weekly? every few days?

thanks for the help, and i also had another quick question. what does 200 ml equal out to in other measurements?

gflat65
05/17/2006, 05:45 PM
Just general opinions. I have not had a chance to use my TMPCC since treating for AEFW with Levamisole. If one acro in your tank had them, I'd say they are in your tank...
1). You need to shake the coral after it has sat the time limit to knock the FW's off. The meds sometimes only stun them.
2.) If you have them, I'd suggest removing all acros to a QT tank to continue dips once a week for four weeks to ensure they are gone. It's a lot of hastle, but people seem to have been having luck with it.
3.) See #2;).

These are just my opinons from experience and what makes sense to me. I just had one hell of a time with them. All seems well now, but I lost alot...

nemofish2217
05/17/2006, 10:37 PM
okay, so that makes sense....but if i dip them and nothing comes off...then i dont even need to worry about QT right? thanks

clkwrk
05/17/2006, 11:13 PM
If you saw one or 2 then you have more don't kid yourself ..

BTW they can breed before they are big enough to see.

nemofish2217
05/17/2006, 11:34 PM
hey clkwrk,
so, QT, dip once a week for four weeks, is that about what you did with the TMPCC? thanks

clkwrk
05/17/2006, 11:50 PM
Yes that will get you going in the right dirrection .

nemofish2217
05/17/2006, 11:50 PM
and also, i dont have to worry about treating any monti's, right?

clkwrk
05/17/2006, 11:51 PM
I have not seen them on any montis but I did intial dips on them JIC

nemofish2217
05/17/2006, 11:59 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7388566#post7388566 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by clkwrk
Yes that will get you going in the right dirrection .

hate to be asking so many questions...but what else will i have to do?

Norberg
05/18/2006, 07:22 AM
You should have the tank totaly free from Acroporas for 6 weeks!
Even smal encrusted pices of acropora must be removed or covered with epoxy.

This QT time will ensure that there is no AEFW left in the main tank when you put your AEFW free Acropora colonies back in to the tank.

Travis
05/18/2006, 11:12 AM
I agree with what has been posted above. You have already seen them so you know they are there. They are also most likely on more than one acro in the tank. I recently treated with levamisole dips and hope I finally got rid of them. What I did was removed every single acro and every piece of acro from live rock was chiseled off. All acros were placed in a quarantine tank for 5 weeks and treated weekly with levamisole. After each treatment they were blown with a powerhead to remove stunned FW's. After that they were inspected for eggs and if eggs were found they were scraped off or covered in superglue gel. I did this each treatment. The display was left acro free for the entire duration.

dolt
05/18/2006, 01:52 PM
travis - ouch - that sounds pretty time consuming and painful - I am not really up to date on this plague, but are there any other potential in-tank treatments for these pests? (levamisole or otherwise)

SaraB
05/18/2006, 02:05 PM
dolt - the only method for treating the AEFW's are currently dips with chemicals that you can not use in the main tank.

Norberg
05/18/2006, 02:17 PM
dolt i am sad to say that it is only one way to realy get rid of them! And that is the way Travis has been doing it!

There is no way to take a short cut with these AEFW. Do it properly the first time you treat this pest. You will only regret it if you dont!

spyro
05/18/2006, 10:18 PM
I lost all of my acros in my 300 G reef tank.
I have been acro free for around 2 months.

My question is how long do I need to wait for all of the AEFWs (if any) are dead?

clkwrk
05/18/2006, 11:02 PM
sounds like you may be safe but who knows maybe they adapt . I know monti nudis will die off as they won't adapt .

poknsnok
05/19/2006, 12:02 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7395343#post7395343 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by clkwrk
sounds like you may be safe but who knows maybe they adapt . I know monti nudis will die off as they won't adapt .

so what you are saying is monti nudis will die off in a monti free tank?? do you have experience with them?? and if so did the dips kill them??

clkwrk
05/19/2006, 12:12 PM
Yes they will die in a monti free tank. I never used anydips just a manual attack and with my small wrasses.

nemofish2217
05/19/2006, 01:00 PM
hey, i am bewildered here....so i just took all of my acros out, visually inspected them- no visible AEFW and no egg sacks.

then i dipped them for 20 min in TMPCC and then blew them each off with a powerhead. i did not see one FW. Do i still need to QT for the entire 6 weeks? or can i just QT them for a week or so and throw them back in the display. Do i need to re-dip them?

very confused :confused:

Bryan89
05/19/2006, 08:12 PM
nemo-

TMPCC directions state to re-perform dip in a fortnight (two weeks). IMHO I would quarantine at least 4 weeks after initial treatment for a total of 3 treatments (e.g. dip on day 0, day 14 and day 28, put coral in main tank on day 30).

Bryan

clkwrk
05/19/2006, 10:21 PM
agreed. Stop looking for an easy way out ;) QT your corals for at least 4 weeks and do your dips .

gflat65
05/20/2006, 09:44 AM
Is there any reason not to use TMPCC on other sps (besides acros)?

clkwrk
05/20/2006, 02:41 PM
I would do them all. I would also look very hard at every sps for those very tiny eggs which are always on a receding edge or under side.