PDA

View Full Version : Tank Move

epon
05/17/2006, 05:44 PM
Well kids the time has come .... 100g prop tub, 2 trays, 20g , 120g and 55g sump all will need to be moved this Saturday or Sunday. I have a fullsize pickup and a uhaul 6 x 12' trailer. It's going from 61929 to 61801 ( Hammond to Champaign ) about an hour one way.

If you've seen pics or seen the tank you'll understand I'm really freaked out about this and am quickly approaching deer-in-the-headlights-paralysis. I've got hcs3 committed to Saturday and Sunday, and Walker on Sunday PM. I'd love to have everything done by Sunday night but we'll see. Now's the time to man up if you've volunteered in the past, just lmk via this thread so I can keep track of everyone if this gets out of hand. If, haha. And I have no clue what we'll do for food, maybe we'll have the grill fired up by then. I can also frag some animals to show my gratitude.

Also I have a 75g with a 29g sump and a 50g rubbermaid I plan to use as temp housing. I also think I might have all the fw/sw I'll need. But I think I'll need some buckets or a few smaller plastic tubs to hold animals.

Thnks that's it, weeeeeeeee !

seldon
05/17/2006, 08:58 PM
hmm, sounds like a weekend. I can help on saturday, but I have a graduation to go to on sunday so I couldnt help then. Just let me know...

Oh, and it looks like the help is just lining up....

w2
05/18/2006, 05:45 AM
Sorry, dude. Already doing the moving thing this weekend with my son. If we get done early on Sunday, I'll give Henry a holler and see about meeting up for some help.

epon
05/18/2006, 07:44 AM
seldon - if you want to help on Saturday that will work, shoot me a pm in IRC and I'll give you my cell number.

w2 - no sweat, I think the number is up to 4 so we should have it covered, anymore at this point might be fluff, but the more the merrier.

Thanks to those who've responded via the thread or pm.

andycook
05/18/2006, 02:49 PM
I've got buckets and a 150g stock tub if you need it. Henry has my number if you find you need them at any time during the weekend.

lglamb
05/18/2006, 03:28 PM
I can volunteer whenever you decide you want to do it.

Can offer some Cummins Power (if you don't mind a
somewhat wussy transmission) and an enclosed trailer
that held the 300 tank and stand ok.

Actually, if you're renting a Uhaul, you're welcome to
use the trailer to move if you want.

Lowell

epon
05/18/2006, 04:53 PM
oh wow ! You're music to my ears at this point. If I can count on you for Saturday ( thinking 10 - 12 ish ) I'll return the uhaul a day early. I was keeping it a second day to make the tank stuff happen. lmk

epon
05/18/2006, 05:34 PM
I forgot to mention if anyone is interested in a few fish I think I may be slimming the load yet again (sorry hcs3)

up for grabs for what I paid:

1 med rabbit fish, blue spot if I recall correctly, he hides all the time in the prop tub and is a worthless algae eatter and flake hog

$45, I think hcs3 remembers this trip to clayton and swc :)

1 mated pair of false percs ( I cant believe I'm putting a price on their heads ) 2 x $25 good ole sailfin almost 4 years ago now, gah !!!

Their sale is dependent upon tank approval, these need good homes and are living in my 100g prop tub as the only fish residents since the mandy commited suicide, RIP

I'm not going fishless, there will still be a mated pair of false percs in the system

:beer:

David MC Lee
05/18/2006, 06:25 PM
I will be their. O wait I should check with Deana now that I did give her a ring on Saturday. I'm sure I can get out sometime. I will bring my truck. The excab is great for moving stuff you want to keep warm.

epon
05/18/2006, 06:32 PM
oh wow !! congrats, tankside weddingggg :)

so, what time is good to start for everyone ?

I also have a new mag 36, and 180g AGA med stain pine stand that I don't need if anyone wants them. Whatever half of retail is, is fair.

seldon
05/18/2006, 06:46 PM
congrats david! Also, I have a van with no seats in it (except for the driver and passanger) that I plan on bringing. I fit a 7 foot couch in it so im sure it could handle some stuff.

epon
05/18/2006, 07:56 PM
awesome, lets call it 11 start time, if anyone shows up earlier you'll just see me rocking in the corner. Clowns are spoken for, all else still avail.

lglamb
05/18/2006, 07:58 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7392996#post7392996 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by epon
oh wow ! You're music to my ears at this point. If I can count on you for Saturday ( thinking 10 - 12 ish ) I'll return the uhaul a day early. I was keeping it a second day to make the tank stuff happen. lmk

Deal.

And Congrats, David. It was the backyard pond that
sealed the deal, right? :)

:beer: :celeb1: :dance: :spin1: :love2:

Oh, wait. What was her answer?????

:lolspin:

saltyseaman
05/18/2006, 08:19 PM
IF I could, I would be there. Work always get's in the way of this hobby, though.

Good luck with the move :thumbsup: All I have to show from my move about a year ago is a couple boxes full of skeletons :( .... not to worry you any more than you allready are ;)

This might help

http://melevsreef.com/moving_a_tank.html

Congrats David :thumbsup:

epon
05/18/2006, 09:49 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7394346#post7394346 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by saltyseaman
All I have to show from my move about a year ago is a couple boxes full of skeletons :( .... not to worry you any more than you allready are ;)

Ouch ! what happened ?

cioutlaw
05/18/2006, 09:51 PM
Im pretty booked up for the weekend but I do have 3) 30gal. barrles w/ lids your welcome to. They are clean, I used them to move a tank last month & they were new. Located in S/W Champaign if your interested. Could possibly lend a hand on Saturday afternoon or Sunday unloading if you need help.

saltyseaman
05/18/2006, 10:56 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7394946#post7394946 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by epon
Ouch ! what happened ?

I'm not sure, exactly. There are too many variables involved. The majority of the deaths occured in the holding tank. I had a different skimmer on the holding tank than I did on the main tank (It wasn't possible for me to hook it up on the holding tank) and I had 1/3 of the water volume. The stress from the move could have aided in fouling up the water, which the skimmer couldn't handle, and began the cataclysmic series of event that followed. I moved just across town in spring, so tempurature wasn't a big factor. The corals were in the holding tank for two days while I finished making up the water I needed and replumbed the tank, and then RTN set in. I would recommend you have enough water to get everything running, just like it is before you move. I think that would have made the difference for me, but I didn't have enough containers to transport or store the 400 gallons I needed. I definately learned my lesson :(

If/When I have to do it again, having enough pre-heated and pre-mixed salt water would be a must, as well as figuring out a quick and easy way to re-plumb in a matter of minutes.

lglamb
05/19/2006, 09:26 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7394957#post7394957 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cioutlaw
Im pretty booked up for the weekend but I do have 3) 30gal. barrles w/ lids your welcome to. They are clean, I used them to move a tank last month & they were new. Located in S/W

If you see this today (friday), pm or call me and I'll pick them
up after work if possible. 5:30-6ish.

Lowell

lglamb
05/19/2006, 10:35 AM
Steve T. should also have some 55g barrels sitting around
from his de-sanding. They might even not smell like jalepano's
anymore. :)

Lowell

David MC Lee
05/20/2006, 07:17 AM
Today (Saturday) at 11 am right?

andycook
05/20/2006, 07:50 PM
How did it go?

tschopp
05/20/2006, 07:56 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7397490#post7397490 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by lglamb
Steve T. should also have some 55g barrels sitting around
from his de-sanding. They might even not smell like jalepano's
anymore. :)

Lowell

Yep still smell like jalepano's. Hope the move went well, sorry I could not help.
Steve

tcottle
05/20/2006, 08:45 PM
Fun was had by all. Paul has an amazing amount of aquarium related stuff :eek1:

I lost count after 9 tanks ....

lglamb
05/20/2006, 09:56 PM
I fired myself around 2:30.

Lowell

lglamb
05/20/2006, 09:58 PM
That reminds me. Gotta go put the cell phone in the oven.

Lowell

andycook
05/20/2006, 10:15 PM
Reception isn't very good in an oven.

seldon
05/20/2006, 11:16 PM
Reception isnt very good in salt water either...

BTW Tod, I found another tank in the garage...
and the TV does not fit in the trailer, unfortunatly... Hopefully you got it there ok and got it inside without any trouble. Let me know when its time for the 120 and ill be up for helping then too. Thanks again for the stuff too, ill be sure to put it to good use, already have plans for it tomorrow, making a home depot run before the graduation tomorrow...

Seldon

Sloeber
05/21/2006, 12:38 AM
TV in the house just fine and operational. thanks to all who showed up to help. 120g is left to go in the coming weeks. stay tuned for updates! :D

llewoh05
05/21/2006, 05:01 AM
sorry i couldn't help you guys out. working rotating 12hr shifts always puts a stop to fun things. maybe i can help with the 120. hope everything went alright.

Congrates to David. So are you planning that bigger tank? ring=bigger tank?!?!?!

Benny Z
05/21/2006, 08:34 AM
so the 120g didn't get moved? did i understand that correctly?

if that's the case then i can probably help when it is moved if you would like. just lmk. this weekend was out for me, so i didn't reply earlier.

DKKA
05/21/2006, 10:56 AM
Paul, hope the move went okay. We just returned last night from vacation (Disney World!!) so helping wasn't really an option. But I'm sure if I'd been around, and lived closer, and knew the meaning of free time, and if the stars had been properly aligned, then I might have thought about maybe offering to help.....

And David......Congratulations!!!!!

lglamb
05/22/2006, 08:55 AM
Just in case anyone else finds themselves looking down into
about a foot of salt water with their cell phone looking back
up a them from the bottom, here's what I did, combining all
of the offerred suggestions.

1. Soaked in RO water. (originally to go directly with #3)
2. Soaked in alcohol. (Henry's suggestion, although he didn't offer any of his)
3. Set in oven at low temperature (100-200f) for a couple hours.

...and finally, what might actually work...

4. Go online and buy a new phone.

:)
Lowell

epon
05/22/2006, 09:22 AM
omg, I'm alive !!!!! pompom in the tubis not so lucky but were still goin.

1st of all, thank you to everyone who helped, I could not have done it without you.

I'm not optimistic that I can get the prop system up and going and all the animals moved in to free up temp tank space for the 120g stuff... soooo .. I guess I need to setup that black tub that Rick has.

I guess I'm planning on trying to move the 120g this weekend but is just seems crazy. We could go ahead and get a roll call going for a potential tank move team for this weekend. since it's a 4 day weekend I thinking better to just get it over with and cut my losses.

I'm exhausted and work has been a zoo today so I'm hoping to find some time to think out a master plan. Anyone feel free to intervein and make some order out of the pandamonium that is my life. :)

Once again, thanks so much you guys, would not be happening without you.

w2
05/22/2006, 09:30 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7414337#post7414337 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by lglamb

2. Soaked in alcohol. (Henry's suggestion, although he didn't offer any of his)

Would this be for the phone, or the owner of the phone??? :)

Sloeber
05/22/2006, 02:09 PM
lowell,

the alcohol was for you to ease the pain of buying a new $200 phone :)

lglamb
05/22/2006, 02:14 PM
Might be available for Monday. Sunday slight maybe. Saturday out,
extended Family's last high school graduation (until someone starts
spitting out some grandkids).

You're welcome to the trailer. Do you have a latch pin?

Is Henry going to show up and turn the Reef Moving Assistance Program
into ACME General Home Relocation?

Lowell

brad23
05/22/2006, 02:17 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7414486#post7414486 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by epon
omg, I'm alive !!!!! pompom in the tubis not so lucky but were still goin.

1st of all, thank you to everyone who helped, I could not have done it without you.

I'm not optimistic that I can get the prop system up and going and all the animals moved in to free up temp tank space for the 120g stuff... soooo .. I guess I need to setup that black tub that Rick has.

I guess I'm planning on trying to move the 120g this weekend but is just seems crazy. We could go ahead and get a roll call going for a potential tank move team for this weekend. since it's a 4 day weekend I thinking better to just get it over with and cut my losses.

I'm exhausted and work has been a zoo today so I'm hoping to find some time to think out a master plan. Anyone feel free to intervein and make some order out of the pandamonium that is my life. :)

Once again, thanks so much you guys, would not be happening without you.

I feel for you, I have to move my 75g reef/30g sump this weekend + 37g qt tank. I have one person who is going to help but I thjink I'll need more.

Sloeber
05/22/2006, 02:32 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7416322#post7416322 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by lglamb
Is Henry going to show up and turn the Reef Moving Assistance Program into ACME General Home Relocation?

i better be out on the water on somebody's boat for memorial day weekend, but my spirit will live on and there is little doubt anyone who shows will feel my presence in the room forcing them to move everything in sight.

lglamb
05/23/2006, 02:22 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7416466#post7416466 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by hcs3
...and there is little doubt anyone who shows will feel my presence in the room forcing them to move everything in sight.

bratwurst and beans again, eh?