PDA

View Full Version : trying to slow down flow of mag drive

maxdout
05/18/2006, 01:07 AM
is there any way i can slow the flow down on my mag 9.5? it flows to much, i haven't installed it yet but i did a test run and it pushes way too much water out. also,

http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=22119;category_id=2887

are these beneficial to my system? or should i just put a filter sock on the intak tube?

Blown 346
05/18/2006, 02:00 AM
You could get a ball valve(lowes or Home depot in the plumbing dept.) that will give you the option of how much you want from 100 % to none.

bllfish
05/18/2006, 03:46 AM
You could run it through a SQWD, or if you have a chiller go to the chiller and then to the return.

Saltcity
05/18/2006, 07:15 AM
Did you do a test run with ALL the plumbing exactly how it will be?

Mags will lose flow with every piece you add to the plumbing.

The best way to "Throttle" back a Mag pump is to Not put a ball valve directly coming out of the pump but to add a "T" in the return line and add the ball valve to the T'd off section with the plumbing running back to the sump. This way it doesn't put a strain on the pump and prematurely end its life.

Amador
05/18/2006, 07:23 AM
My setup is as Reeforbust described, and I would recommend you don't use a ball valve. They are incredibly hard to adjust and impossible to adjust accurately. Maybe a gate valve would work better.

salreus
05/18/2006, 07:25 AM
I agree with the above. Mag drives are not designed to be throttled down. As above, instead T it off and use one for your device and then redirect the other flow somewhere else. Also, causing backpressure is what causes mags to leak.

nataz
05/18/2006, 08:14 AM
I put a t on my mag. with a ball valve on the part of the t thats not hooked up to my return. This way if i have to much pres. I open the ball valve which lets water right back into my sump and if i need extra pres. I just close to valve till i get the amount i need. Works for me .... Good luck. Also it doesn't restrict the flow out of pump.

Ploppers
05/18/2006, 08:29 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7388962#post7388962 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bllfish
You could run it through a SQWD, or if you have a chiller go to the chiller and then to the return.

Mine is running through a SQWD and it reduces flow quite a bit.
If you don't go that way you should put a T with a valve on it like Reeforbust said. :)

maxdout
05/18/2006, 08:55 AM
how far up do you put the T? i do have a T on it but its about 4 inches from the exit of the Mag. The pipes are the 3/4 pvc and i have 2 going into the tank. They make ALOT of bubble and i was thinking it shouldn't be that much. + it moves the sand around alot. I will try out putting anohter T and reaaranging.

AZDesertRat
05/18/2006, 08:55 AM
It won't hurt a Mag pump at all to restrict the discharge with a ball or gate valve. A Mag is a centrifugal pump and with that design you can restrict all you want. Just make sure you restrict the discharge side and not the suction side, there you would have problems. Like mentioned above, you need to add up all the plumbing including 90 degree elbows, barbed nipples, pipe, vertical lift, etc and use the calculator on this site before saying flow is too much.