PDA

View Full Version : Question about lights

labatt
05/18/2006, 06:35 AM
I just recieved my lights yesterday. It is a 48" 6x65w pc hood type. I have 2 questions.
1. It came with an acrylic splash guard. Would it be better to use this and mount the lights real clost to to water, or not use it and mount them a bit higher? Some general distances would be great.
2. The company messed up and sent me 2 10k, 2 50/50, and 2 actinics. I allready contacted them and they are sending me 2 more 10k's. Is the 4 10k/2 actinic ok, or should I run it like they sent it? My understanding is that you can't really count the actinic as useable light and more would be better.
Thanks in advance for your help and much appreciated advice.

Blown 346
05/18/2006, 06:44 AM
You could use them closer to the water, either way I would use the splash guard as a safe guard. When the lights are off there will still be evaporation, and that will cause condensation to form on the lights themselves.

You could run it with the 2 10K's and both 50/50's without a problem.
You might get better growth out of the 2 50/50 bulbs than the 2 straight actinics.

labatt
05/18/2006, 07:11 AM
Sorry, but im a bit confused here. The light is 6 bulb, and once the replacements come i will have 4 10k, 2 50/50, and 2 actinics in my posession, what is the suggested bulb configuration? Also, would about 2" above the water be too close? with the guard of course.
Thanks again for the help.

stewartms
05/18/2006, 07:17 AM
Im not sure why one would say not to count the actinics. The purpose for using them is that the blue light spectum penetrates the water deaper thus getting more light deaper in the tank. I prefer a half/half light mixture but others may prefer different.

theop
05/18/2006, 09:23 AM
I have found that having half 10K and half actinic makes things a little too blue. I would run 4 x 10K and 2 x actinics. Overall, I don't think it makes much difference and you should go with what is most pleasing to your eye.

The lower you mount the lights, the more salt spray you will get on the acrylic shield and the more frequent you will have to clean it. I would mount the lights as high as you can, to minimize the salt spray and to light your tank more evenly.

Infern0
05/18/2006, 11:14 AM
Yes....that salt spray has been the bane of my lights existence right now and I keep mine about 6" off the water. I have some good movement at the surface though.

Blown 346
05/18/2006, 01:08 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7389399#post7389399 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by labatt
Sorry, but im a bit confused here. The light is 6 bulb, and once the replacements come i will have 4 10k, 2 50/50, and 2 actinics in my posession, what is the suggested bulb configuration? Also, would about 2" above the water be too close? with the guard of course.
Thanks again for the help.

The bulbn configuration is up to you, I was just throwing the idea of using the 2 50/50 bulbs instead of the straight actinics.

I had my bulbs like this. Actinic,daylight,actinic,daylight etc, or you can go the other way of daylight,actinic, daylight.

2" above the water with the guard will work, but you might find yourself doing extra cleaning on the light fixture if there is no top on the tank.

labatt
05/18/2006, 02:59 PM
Thanks for the help everyone, much appreciated.