PDA

View Full Version : Skunks

exiled_infidel
05/18/2006, 06:49 AM
Hi

Im not sure which clowns to get for my nice 6-8" crispa anemone. The anemone has settled quite nicely in my tank on some rockwork. Its under a 70watt halide in a nano (about 12 gallons) and looks very healthy (not bleached or anyhting).

Was contemplating getting a pair of skunk clowns. I cant seem to decide whether to get the orange skunks (A sandaracinos) or the pink skunks (A perideranion) My online retailer has, at the moment, a 'mated' pair of pink skunks at 4 and 6cm and two small 2-3cm orange skunks.

Anyone had experience with either species?

Im looking for a nice "anemone dependant" species, hopefully one that will spend all its time in the anemone (things like clarkiis seem to venture too far from home to appear to be hosting it), if that makes any sense.

Also, am i right to assume that the orange skunks found in northern and western australia are A sandaracinos? Are they also found in the GBR area?

Pinksteel
05/18/2006, 03:45 PM
The pink skunks are typically a little less aggressive. Usually that will mean that they may be a little less aggressive in the way they rub in the anemone.

phender
05/18/2006, 05:41 PM
I believe that both pink skunks and orange skunks inhabit the areas you asked about. The orange skunk in that area is A. sandaracinos, like your said. The third skunk (A. akallopisos) lives on the Indian Ocean side of Java and in East Africa. I personally like the way my sandaracinos react with their anemone. Sometimes it looks like they are body surfing through the tentacles.

You are going to get a few people bashing you for trying to keep a fast growing anemone like H. crispa in a 12 gallon tank. They might not be wrong.

stykthyn
05/19/2006, 12:09 AM
oooh in a 12 gallon? man!
well if you are determined to do this, I wouldnt keep a pair of any clowns except for perc/ocellaris in anything smaller than a 20 gallon. I know not the answer you are looking for, but just my personal opinion. hope everything works for you.

exiled_infidel
05/19/2006, 03:41 AM
Hi

Oh, wow, Phender, really couldnt anticipate that one, lol. Guess i should not mention im gonna put in a yellow tang :eek1: j/k j/k

The anemone will move out if it gets too big. The same goes for the clowns, if tehy get very big (more than 3") or look depressed i will move them into a 40g tank.

Yep, i was just checking to see the likelihood of me having an A Akallopisos listed as either pink or orange skunk clown on the list from my OFS.

Is it just me or from some angles, do the sandaracinos clowns look evil? Lol.

I think i should be able to pull off either species cos theyre only small and the tank is an 18" cube, right?

Thanks

travisurfer
05/19/2006, 05:26 AM
pink skunks stay smaller. if you plan on moving the clowns and the nem, why not put them in the 40 to begin with; less stressful to the fishies.

exiled_infidel
05/19/2006, 07:19 AM
Hi

I would do that, just that i want some fish with personality in my tank in my room, lol.

Bear in mind, fish choices are pretty limited in australia (and cost is pretty prohibitive).

Have been on the list for over a year for a shrimp goby/watchman type to no avail. Would consider firefish but tank is uncovered. Plus, i really like the pair behaviour clowns have, they look like theyre in human love :)

stykthyn
05/19/2006, 10:45 PM
wow, you would think that living in australia you would be closer to the ornamentals and have better better availability

exiled_infidel
05/20/2006, 03:52 AM
Its not really more available, we just get different stock. For example, youd be pretty hard pressed to find a branching hammer coral here, on teh other hand, duncanopsammia and acanthastrea lordhowensis is really common.

And, as a guide on prices, red line cleaners go for $55 (cheapest semi wholesale price). They had a pair at my LFS, $249 each, no kidding.

travisurfer
05/20/2006, 05:30 AM
are you talking about shrimp?

stykthyn
05/20/2006, 05:33 AM
not to hiack, but out of curiosity how much does a harlequin tusk sell for there?

exiled_infidel
05/20/2006, 06:07 AM
Yes! Shrimp are crazily expensive here. I think the current going rate for a pair of harlequin SHRIMP would be at least $350!!!

I think harlequin tusks go for $99ish, will double check that. I think they cost more cos in places like indonesia and the phillipines, the collectors are paid the $2 per hour or whatever, its just a much higher average wage here.

travisurfer
05/20/2006, 05:49 PM
not to highjak but are pink skunks really that host-specific

exiled_infidel
05/20/2006, 07:10 PM
What do ya mean by host specific? As in host dependent or will only host the natural host species?

Ive had pinks before and tehy seemed to be pretty skanky and would sleep with just about any coral or anemone like thing.

stykthyn
05/21/2006, 12:16 AM
I like skanky clownfish :)

I think harlequin tusks go for $99ish, will double check that. I think they cost more cos in places like indonesia and the phillipines, the collectors are paid the $2 per hour or whatever, its just a much higher average wage here

I wondered why fish collected from australia cost so much more

exiled_infidel
05/21/2006, 02:27 AM
I guess the main plus point is you know the fish was net caught cos australia really enforces wildlife laws.

stykthyn
05/21/2006, 05:17 AM
you can tell the difference, the australian fish I have seen here look so much better than their indonesian or new guinea counterparts.

exiled_infidel
05/21/2006, 05:52 AM
I beg to differ.

So many of the fish that i see in LFS here are mediocre at best. This is in comparison with fish i used to see when i worked at a wholesaler in singapore (very few aussie imports, mainly indoc=pac), the fish always seemed to be okay (save delicate species).

stykthyn
05/21/2006, 06:47 AM
just my experience here