PDA

View Full Version : Options for Overflow

Shouse94
05/18/2006, 03:29 PM
Hi, i'm helping setting up a 55g acrylic tank into a Reef and was looking for all my options for an overflow. Only going to be running a Mag5 for the return pump. I know there are a lot of sites for overflow boxes but dont remember the names, can someone help me out?
Also, any good mods circulating RC for DIY overflow boxes for an acrylic tank.
thanks for the tips
Shouse

Shouse94
05/18/2006, 03:32 PM
Just to clarify, not looking for any U-tube design. The tank isn't setup yet so i want to make sure it's done the right way.

kraze3
05/18/2006, 04:48 PM
Are you looking to drill your tank than add an overflow box?

BigWaveDave2
05/18/2006, 05:29 PM
CPR makes good, quiet overflows, you can find them on marine depot

GL
05/18/2006, 07:09 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7392550#post7392550 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Shouse94
Just to clarify, not looking for any U-tube design. The tank isn't setup yet so i want to make sure it's done the right way.

Are you looking to do an external box or an internal drilled overflow.

If it is external then the U-tube is the way you want to go IMO. Lifereef is top of the line, more money but the most dependable.

If you have the opportunity now then DRILL. It is very much worth it and once setup it is very difficult to go back.

Now if your tank is already drilled than that is a different story.

Andru881
05/18/2006, 07:36 PM
get a whole saw and go to town drilling...if you even think you'd like to have a closed loop system later own then drill the holes and cap off the back of the buck heads for later uses...or you'll be sad like me with not enough holes in your tank

Shouse94
05/18/2006, 10:12 PM
Yep i know exactly what i want to do for setup.
Ill try and explain more this time. I want to do an internal overflow box, since it's an acrylic tank (have hole saw) drilling is not an issue.
I've seen various sites in the past of different types of overflow boxes on the web, trying to get an idea of what's out there again. Does anyone have any links to sites that sell different types of internal overflow boxes???

Also i've seen plenty of mods on here, but cannot find anymore, of different styles of overflow boxes, again NO SIPHON TUBES. Anyone have the links to these threads??

Can anyone help me with either of these 2 questions??
Big thanks!
Shouse

Shouse94
05/19/2006, 10:14 AM
bump

dswong01
05/19/2006, 12:36 PM
Here you go

http://www.wetdryfilter.com/internal_overflow_boxes.htm

Shouse94
05/19/2006, 01:57 PM
Does anyone remember the site that sells overflows that dont' go all the way down to the ground??
MOre like just a small box near the top of the tank that you drill on the back wall near teh water surface? I'm only lookin for 500gph throught the sump. Anyone ever have problems w/ these?
thanks

dswong01
06/01/2006, 12:41 PM
:)