PDA

View Full Version : 150 gal overflow?

Eugen
05/18/2006, 04:54 PM
Hello ppl , my name is Eugen and I'm a beginer in salt water aquariums.In fact I cant be called a beginer because I havent started yet:D
I have sweet water aquariums for an year an half now and I belive I have enough experience an patience to start a marine.
My problem is the lack of information that I was confrunted in my country(Romania - location - South East Europe) and the lack of suppliers for this kind of stuff.There are a few ppl that sell marine equipment and marine live stock but beacuse of the small demand the prices are high ,and the ones that now a lot about marine aquariums dont share their knoledge with others.
So , almost everything I know about marine aquariums I've read on this forum , wich I find very usefull.
So , the first thing that I want to ask you is about the overflows.I plan to set up an 150 gal reef tank with a sump and DIY skimmer.The dimensions of my tank will be 55,1 inches long , 23,62 inches wide and 23,62 inches high.I have orderred the glass but the overflows will be drilled when I'll pick up the glass ,next thursday.So for this tank I want 2 overflows but I dont know what size should they be.So , what size shud I drill the overflows?:D
Ok , beside that , I'm waiting for any other usefull advice that you could give.Thank you and waiting for reply :rollface:

bertoni
05/18/2006, 08:03 PM
[welcome]

You'll want to pick the total flow you want through the refugium. I would target around 200-300 gph. After that, the calculator off the RC home page should help:

http://reefcentral.com/calc/drain.php

For 300 gph, for example, I get:

Recommended minimum drain pipe diameter = 0.72 inches
Recommended minimum linear overflow size = 5 inches