PDA

View Full Version : What type of algae for fuge?

zeblisik
05/18/2006, 06:56 PM
I'm contemplating what kind of algae to use in my vetable filter.

I'm thinking about gracilaria or chaetomorpha.

I want to use it as both nutrient export and habitat to culture plankton.

I'm also toying with the idea of keeping a few seahorses in the same tank later on.

Any suggestions on type of algae?

bertoni
05/18/2006, 07:49 PM
Gracilaria can be hard to grow. I'd stick with Chaetomorpha for starters. Gracilaria you could add when you have a metal halide setup for it, and a high-motion refugium area.

Other people like Caulerpa, although it can sporulate. InlandAquatics.com sells a refugium flora kit that has some other ideas. IPSF.com sells some nice algae, too, IMO, but the ones other than Caulerpa are a bit tough to grow, IME.

zeblisik
05/18/2006, 07:55 PM
Hey bertoni, thanks for the advice.

Do you have any experience with seagrasses?

bertoni
05/18/2006, 07:58 PM
No, I don't. They will require actual mud in the tank, though. I've been tempted to try them, because I think they'd make a very interesting refugium, but don't have the space at present.

snarkes
05/18/2006, 08:02 PM
I have Cheato growing in my fuge... stuff is awesome. I take a huge clump out every month. I havent had an algae problem since I put it in there. I have some Gracilaria in there as well, but it doesnt really grow at all.

Cprowler
05/18/2006, 08:06 PM
I think most people use chaeto.

zeblisik
05/18/2006, 08:08 PM
bertoni,

I've read that they can grow in DSBs aswell. However I doubt they are as good at nutrient export than macroalgae

Thanks for both of your advice. I believe I shall start with cheato.

BigWaveDave2
05/18/2006, 10:41 PM
I've got gracilaria in mine with a 65W LOA fixture, and its growing like crazy. Plus you loads of fish love the stuff, so you can use it for nutrient export and as a food source.