PDA

View Full Version : High nitrates

vikingdaddy1
05/18/2006, 07:38 PM
OK have a problem I have been using tap water in my tank but I found out very quickly that my tap water is high in nitrates so what should I do? The only thing I know is buy bottled water or get a ro/di filter if thats my only option what is a good cheap one to buy and what is the mininum gph that I would need for a fifty five gallon tank any thoughts on this would be great thanks for the help
brian

Blown 346
05/18/2006, 07:50 PM
You can buy RO/DI water from grocery storesfor about $0.30 a gallon.
The size RO unit is up to you, I have a 50 GPD Kent ro unit and that is all i need.

bertoni
05/18/2006, 07:51 PM
In the end, I bought a RO-DI filter, and am glad that I did. I bought a Kent Hi-S Maxxima 35 gpd and like it, but the Typhoon III from airwaterice.com has gotten good reviews. Just ask for th 75gpd membrane, since it's the most cost-efficient over time. I would be leary about some of the cheaper filters.

angelsj247
05/18/2006, 08:08 PM
i used to use tap water also.. but my nitrates showed zero.. anyways i started buying distilled gallon water from walmart for bout 60 cents a gal.

boxfishpooalot
05/19/2006, 04:29 AM
My tap water has zero nitrates but it has 4ppm of phosphates. I now use ro water, wich brings it down to about .2ppm. Im working on the di portion.