PDA

View Full Version : How loud are protein skimmers?

reefcapnnick
05/18/2006, 07:58 PM
I'm going to be purchasing an ASM G3. It will be tucked away in an oak cabinet, but...

how loud are protein skimmers?

JF
05/18/2006, 08:06 PM
Howdy - Quiet enough to watch TV around, loud enough to be annoying. I happen to have just bought an ASM G3 a few months ago (great unit, btw, or compared to my Nautlius TE, anyway).

Mine is in a utility room in an open sump, and at night, even upstairs, I can hear a faint hum if I listen for it. Nothing too bad, nowhere NEAR as bad as my overflow that I just can't seem to get silent.

Some recommend setting it on a mouse pad, I tried that, but the difference was negligible. Hard to really answer the question, though, but I'd say not too bad. Could I sleep next to it? No. Can I work on my computer in the next room? Absolutely.

JF

Sk8r
05/18/2006, 08:12 PM
Mine is an Urchin in-sump, and I couldn't possibly hear it over the roar of the tank downflow. ;)

PatMayo
05/18/2006, 10:24 PM
Mine is quiet, I hardly hear it and it is in my family room in the lower cabinet. Mine is a ER RS-100.

The benefit you get from the skimmer is worth any little bit of noise you may have.

Regards,

Pat

Ti
05/18/2006, 11:39 PM
they r relatively quiet, nothing really loud

goda
05/19/2006, 12:44 AM
i dont have that skimmer but i have a tunze skimmer and my oceans motions motor is louder then the skimmer ( and those are nearly silent.... reminds me i think its time for maintance on the OM.,. darn

boxfishpooalot
05/19/2006, 04:37 AM
My becket skimmer is loud, but not overpowering.

Herbie
05/19/2006, 05:13 AM
My Tunze 9010 is SILENT. Only a very slight sound coming from the air inlet is the only way I know its running. I cant even hear any motor or vibration noise with my ear right next to the skimmer! It is a very good/consistent skimmer that I hardly ever have to adjust or "fiddle" with. I just drain and clean out the cup/reaction chamber (1 piece), every few days.
Its a great skimmer and I would recommend it to anyone! I am pleased with mine!
My overflow is also silent.........the loudest thing on my tank/system is the faint noise coming from the turning rotor on my dosing pump!
Later..........Herbie

boomsticks
05/19/2006, 07:25 AM
Seaclone, I can sleep with the piece of trash running...get used to it with the tank in my room took a couple nights, but now I can zonk right out with it running.

E-A-G-L-E-S
05/19/2006, 07:30 AM
the pump and air inlet are the only things that produce noise.....that said, if it is an in-sump skimmer with submersible pump. then the air intake whistle should be all you hear....different for external becketts and DD's

bad santa
05/19/2006, 08:15 AM
You ask about noise and such, but you will be really scared if you have no noise at all.LOL The loudest part of my tank is the pumps in the sump (Mag 9 & Mag 7). You get used to the noise from your system though. After awhile its even relaxing.

reefcapnnick
05/19/2006, 09:42 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7396003#post7396003 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Herbie
My Tunze 9010 is SILENT. Only a very slight sound coming from the air inlet is the only way I know its running. I cant even hear any motor or vibration noise with my ear right next to the skimmer! It is a very good/consistent skimmer that I hardly ever have to adjust or "fiddle" with. I just drain and clean out the cup/reaction chamber (1 piece), every few days.
Its a great skimmer and I would recommend it to anyone! I am pleased with mine!
My overflow is also silent.........the loudest thing on my tank/system is the faint noise coming from the turning rotor on my dosing pump!
Later..........Herbie

Can you provide any tips on constructing a silent overflow?

I plan to do a durso standpipe with a strainer.

michaeldaly
05/19/2006, 11:41 AM
The sound from my overflow drows the skimmers noise