PDA

View Full Version : DIY Pole, What, How much, Where??

21Reefman
05/19/2006, 01:30 PM
I just want to know the reasons this hobby has sent you searching through a hardware store? :rolleye1: What did you need and wich store was most helpful?
I always seem to go to more than one hardware store and still might need a few items to complete the project. From stands, lighting, plumbing, TUBE, buckets, skimmers, and sumps the trips to the store seem endless!

What did you build/Buy?

How many stores needed(including hardware from LFS)?

What was the "elusive" part?

Budget Vs. actual cost?

MCary
05/19/2006, 01:44 PM
I am so tired of hemorraging money. I am plumbing in a closed loop. Went to the store and bought some pvc connectors and teflon tape. Cost me $12. No problem. Went back yesterday, bought gate valves, more elbows, 1" pipe etc. Cost me $73. Damn! Still didn't have all I needed. Went back to Ace at lunch, bought some 45's, 2 more gate valves, and some 2" elbows and pipe dope. $35. Over an hundred dollars for plumbing? I really messed up my bill of materials estimate on this little project. Would someone just stab a fork into my neck!

Mike

21Reefman
05/20/2006, 11:59 AM
LOL, Mike, that's is so funny. Sorry about your hassle though.
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who has done this!! Actually, it sounds like EVERY reef project to date!

Thanks, for sharing.

Anyone else??? Com'on let's hear it.

aiko670
05/20/2006, 05:35 PM
Welcome to my world, I have a big box full of PVC fittings in the garage and never what I need. I think I'm always buying PVC. I really should start returning what I don't use.....

21Reefman
05/20/2006, 05:45 PM
Ok, I'm not hearing about all those canopys and stands I thought I would??

How much $$ have you spent on this hobby... TOTAL!!

jdieck
05/20/2006, 05:46 PM
Well get ready to be known by name at all the hardware stores around were you live. I think it is everyone's story.

21Reefman
05/20/2006, 06:03 PM
jdieck, Yes that is the case, they all think I'm a MAD scientist! Mostly because they can't picture what the heck I'm trying to make. Thanks, for tha reply!

68 people have read it, I want to hear about 68 Reefs, Projects, Costs, and hard to find items!!! Don't be shy :)

aiko670
05/20/2006, 09:00 PM
I'd really rather not try to figure out what I've spent!

I've probably spent nearly 1,000 in the last ween in equipment for a new 120. Argh!!!!

Calcium reactor
Auto Topoff
ASM G3
Light bulbs....

I'm getting sick, and I hope my wife doesn't read this!

xtrstangx
05/20/2006, 09:05 PM
I am literally spending more on the plumbing for my new tank than I am spending on the tank.

smmscott
05/20/2006, 09:20 PM
Check valve for this, a float switch for that, I don't think it is the expensive things like a tank and big hardware, it is always the little things that kill me. That and the ohhh look at that fish or that coral or any of the many other cool things at the LFS. My girlfriend is always harrassing me, she says I am always saying I need just one more pump.

21Reefman
05/20/2006, 10:52 PM
Only 5 people in 118 have spent any money?? Well, at least tell us how your doing that! :)

21Reefman
05/20/2006, 11:12 PM
Anyone still lugging BUCKETS of RO water back from the store??

MMEEEEE I DO, I DO!! Boy do I need an RO/DI, auto top-off, a fuge, a sump, a surge, a controller,...mmmm a plumber, an electician, ..... a financial advisor.

jdieck
05/21/2006, 12:00 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7407437#post7407437 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 21Reefman
Anyone still lugging BUCKETS of RO water back from the store??

MMEEEEE I DO, I DO!! Boy do I need an RO/DI, auto top-off, a fuge, a sump, a surge, a controller,...mmmm a plumber, an electician, ..... a financial advisor. ........ and a good job! :lol:

msuzuki126
05/21/2006, 12:08 AM
Plumbing forced me to go to Home Depot quite a few times. I think I've spent around $400 so far on my 37gallon (not including tank) Still need to spend more for equipment :)

Timothy01
05/21/2006, 12:44 AM
salt water addict rule number one.....never keep track of how much money you've spent on your addiction

you might just relize you couldve bought that new car you allways wanted

jdieck
05/21/2006, 01:11 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7407742#post7407742 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Timothy01
salt water addict rule number one.....never keep track of how much money you've spent on your addiction

you might just relize you couldve bought that new car you allways wanted
and a bemer at that :D

Freed
05/21/2006, 01:25 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7405730#post7405730 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 21Reefman
jdieck, Yes that is the case, they all think I'm a MAD scientist! Mostly because they can't picture what the heck I'm trying to make.

Exactly. I go into any hardware store looking for a fitting to attach to, let's say, my protein skimmer. Yeah, I'm looking for one of these please it broke when I was tightening it and I can't find another one. 5 minutes later after looking thru everything to try to find another one the guy always asks "What's it for?" Well, it really doesn't matter does it? Do you have any other ideas where I can find one? "Well, what's it for?" You wouldn't understand if I told you. Never mind but thanks anyway. This always happens.

21Reefman
05/21/2006, 11:16 AM
LOL, were you following me??? They always ask what's it for!! I'm gonna start telling them crazy stuff just to see their faces.
What's it for? Well, I have a greenhouse full of marijuanna and I need this flex-tube to feed my illegal immigrant workers! LMAO

21Reefman
05/21/2006, 11:19 AM
Seriously though, What did you build and how much did it cost?