PDA

View Full Version : Help acclimating Flasher Wrasse

Seadogs
05/19/2006, 01:32 PM
I am using the drip method for acclimating two new Flasher Wrasses. One site says 1 hr to acclimate, another says 3 hrs. Should I split the difference and go for 2 hrs.? I haven't dealt with Wrasses before, are the more delicate to acclimate?

Randall_James
05/19/2006, 01:47 PM
I do neither, I give my fish a 20 minute float (unopened float bag)
another 20 minutes with scissor cut in bag (1-2 inch)
and then release. (note this is ALWAYS into quarantine tank)

I have yet to lose a fish like this and IMO these long drawn out acclimations are probably harder on the fish. Also leaving the bag sealed during the first part of acclimation prevents captive ammonia from being released and becoming toxic to the fish.

Fish stores mostly use this same system

heuerfan
05/19/2006, 02:14 PM
Think you should drip, best method. What if the salinity is different from yours. Flashers wrasses are very sensitive so it would be best to make sure to acclimate slowly.

mw 2 cents...

LaloV.
05/19/2006, 03:22 PM
Sorry but only 2 flasher wrasses?? are they both males???
You should keep one male per tank or a male and an harem.

Seadogs
05/19/2006, 08:08 PM
Yeah, I asked for a male and a female but was told that there was no way to tell them apart. :( Should I have more than 2 and can you tell them apart? I can never seem to find enough good info or I think I have enough, order the fish and then find out there was more I needed to know.

LaloV.
05/19/2006, 08:21 PM
If your tank its the 150 gal, then you could accomodate a group of flasher wrasses these groups consist on 1 ale and several females.
I think that they are just like the fairy wrasses, the male is more colorful. But I am not really sure.

heuerfan
05/19/2006, 08:28 PM
2 males in the same tank will be fine, i have 2 males in my 72 and no problems. One will become dominant while the other submissive. Check out the fairy wrasse threads for more info.