PDA

View Full Version : Hand Numb need helpID

r6413utah
05/19/2006, 09:44 PM
over from another site and was refered here. Was moving some live rock this evening and got nailed by this guy and my hand went numb for a while. Is it bristil and if so what type never seen one with black eyes and albino color. Can't post the ictures here but here is the link.

http://thereeftank.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74127

Blown 346
05/19/2006, 10:31 PM
Cant see the pics without logging in or signing up.

Sk8r
05/19/2006, 10:38 PM
Benedryl, definitely. THere are no bristleworms to my knowledge that are albino. I don't know what it might be: most marine stings are not that bad. Possibly you are allergic. Hold your hand under the hot water tap, as hot as you can stand it. This is the standard treatment for marine stings. If you suffer subsequent reactions like racing heartbeat or skipped beats, profound sweating, etc, call 911.

fantastic4
05/20/2006, 12:41 AM
r6, pm and e-mail LeslieH, I believe she is a worm scientist.

She may be able to give you guidance on possibilities.

Good luck

r6413utah
05/20/2006, 06:29 AM
Sorry about not having the pics out there. Will try to post them in the gallery. Hand is fine, histamine jumped a little but all is well. Put him in a test-tube and sucked the air out. will take the advise and send a pic to LeslieH.fficeffice" />>>

>>

I am not sure this is what stung me, But he was on the rock I was moving , I did notice a blast of debris coming out of a hole in the rock and then this guy coming out of a hole next to the erupture hole.

slojmn
05/20/2006, 09:20 AM
There is a thread on her where a guy got jabbed and ended up with a very serious infection, he eventually made his way to the hospital and they were able to help him. He has pics of the finger, OMG, gross and scary. Keep a close eye on that puncture, not only from the allergy side of things but also from an infection angle. Ever since I read that thread and saw his pics I am very aware of any nicks or punctures I receive in the tank, keeping a close eye on the healing process.

LeslieH
05/20/2006, 09:34 AM
Hi Robert --
Ouch! That's always nasty. You're right - it's not a fireworm although it is a polychaete. It belongs to the family Nereididae and is an epitoke, the modified reproductive stage. Fireworms have hollow glass bristles which in some species do contain a neurotoxin that can produce an allergic reaction. Nereids don't - their bristles are solid, lack toxin, and in epitokes are modified with blunt paddle-shaped ends so they can't even stick you. I've never had a reaction from handling them. Nereids also have jaws but just like the bristles they're modified in epitokes & are probably too soft to do any harm. My best guess is that the worm was just in the vicinity of whatever really stung you. I've had reactions from encrusting sponges that I couldn't even see on the rocks.
Sorry I can't be of more help--
Leslie

LeslieH
05/20/2006, 09:36 AM
Slojmn - can you find the url for that thread? It would interesting readin for the rest of you.
Thanks!

slojmn
05/20/2006, 11:16 AM
Here ya go

Infection (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=414029&highlight=infection+and+thumb)

LeslieH
05/20/2006, 12:36 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7404017#post7404017 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by slojmn
Here ya go

Infection (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=414029&highlight=infection+and+thumb)

Grusome but instructive! Yuck! Thanks for the link.

xtrstangx
05/20/2006, 03:49 PM
Did you have any cuts on your hand? there is a LOT of bad infections you can get from saltwater due the amount of life it holds in it.

If it becomes numb again, or anything unnormal happens, call your doctor. Its better safe than sorry, you don't want to risk your life.