PDA

View Full Version : What are these bugs? I have tons of them!

mnestroy
05/20/2006, 03:18 PM
What are these bugs, i just noticed them 2days ago, they are creaping me out... I have them all over the place :)

I am new to this hobby and I just lost all my fish (4) to ich... is this related?

http://www.mikenestroy.com/bug1.JPG

http://www.mikenestroy.com/bug.jpg

Gary Majchrzak
05/20/2006, 03:23 PM
Amphipods and their relatives are (generally) "good" and desirable in reef aquaria. Your "bugs" had nothing to do with Cryptocaryon (saltwater ick.)
See more info on 'pods in this article:

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-08/rs/index.php

giorgiboy
05/20/2006, 03:29 PM
they are the good guys... fit healthy unstressed fish do not generally succumb to ich, stressed ones do.. check out your water conditions and whether the fish are compatible.....

xtrstangx
05/20/2006, 03:46 PM
Pods are good. They are pretty low on the food chain and most fish think they are a delicious snack.

11fishes
05/20/2006, 04:19 PM
i was a nubian once too and thought everything was a potential "bad-guy" to my babies, all i did was some reading and talking to my lfs and they set me straight. good luck and happy reefing in your venture in this wonderful adventure

Donjc
05/20/2006, 04:43 PM
Nice baby Pods don't kill them they are definitely the good guys

mnestroy
05/20/2006, 11:15 PM
Okay, thanks!

Heres my situation, tank is about 2.5months old, had a few fish after tank cycled... water checks out okay but fish died 5days ago from what I think was ich...

So now i got nothing in tank and I started to notice tons of these little guys... I assume since I have no fish these little bugs are starting to roam freely :)

Well once I feel brave enough and put some fish back in the tank the'll be plenty to snack on.

giorgiboy
05/21/2006, 02:23 AM
I would definitely wait a bit until things stabilise. Also add fish one at a time and keep stock levels low (I only have 3 in a 100 gallon, although 2 of those are a reasonable size). Start with and easy to keep, cheap and hopefully tank raised specimin (clown etc) and see everything is stable before moving on I think is the best idea.
What size is yours and what equipment etc?
Those 'bugs' normally hide in the day. If I shine a torch into mine at night there are loads zooming over the rock and glass together with the odd worm , but in the day they are all tucked up in the rockwork..

Saltz Creep
05/21/2006, 07:05 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7405231#post7405231 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 11fishes
i was a nubian once too
Wow, just like Michael Jackson! :D

mnestroy
05/21/2006, 07:14 AM
My setup...

Tank is about 2.5 months old,

40 Gallon Breeder
40ish Pounds of live rock

0 Fish :(
10 Hermit crabs, 4 snales.

Eheim Canister Filter
AquaC Remora Pro
Pengium Dual bio-wheel hang on filter

The levels are looking good, i finaly got my Nitrates to drop under 20... they are at about 15 now..

xtrstangx
05/21/2006, 07:52 AM
If your old fish died of Ich, then your tank will have Ich in it for the following 6 weeks after it died. This means that any fish you add will have a very likely chance of being infected by the Ich.

So you can either wait 6 weeks for the Ich to die or you can add the fish and try to battle the Ich.

Anemonebuff
05/21/2006, 08:45 AM
Pod ID's

http://www.melevsreef.com/id/pods.html

RichConley
05/21/2006, 08:49 AM
Isopods.

giorgiboy
05/21/2006, 09:53 AM
40 is quite a small set up to keep a constant marine enviroment so you need to be vigilant. ich hangs around in most set ups (so those that write long papers on the subject say).. so its hard to never have it in there, but stressed fish will pick it up and get worse, fit and healthy unstressed ones where the environent is stable (some more than others) will fight it off. i would say its at least 10 X as hard to maintain a good marine env as a freshwater one, but as you gain experience and figure it all out, its great....

UrbanSage
05/21/2006, 11:16 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7407447#post7407447 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mnestroy
Heres my situation, tank is about 2.5months old, had a few fish after tank cycled... water checks out okay but fish died 5days ago from what I think was ich...

You think it was ich? Usually if a fish dies from these parasites people know it was ich. Maybe the problem is something related to it being a new tank?

11fishes
05/21/2006, 03:13 PM
not exactly saltz creep, but the general idea is there. haha