PDA

View Full Version : college tanks

reefinmike
05/20/2006, 08:48 PM
junior in high school right now. soon to be senior. contemplating staying home and going to school locally so i can stay with my baby(125g tank) for 4 years or going to UC an hour away and setting up a 29 gallon or so. as far as dorm rooms go, what usually are the limits for tanks. i see a lot of people with 29 gallons. possibly a dorm room tank setup pic?

iCam
05/20/2006, 08:55 PM
First off, I think it is worth it to leave the tank behind if the other school is better. If you would end up moving into an apartment, you could set up a tank, and that would only require waiting a year or two.

I don't know about having a tank in a dorm. Some don't allow aquariums, and if so, probably not over a few gallons in size. One thing to keep in mind is that during holidays, power is usually cut off in dorms.

cperez155
05/20/2006, 09:09 PM
I have a 12 g AquaPod at college and I just recently came back home for the summer. The tank is small enough that I could take it back and forth during breaks but it becomes a pain in the *** after a while. I don't think that I am going to bring the tank back up next year until I get my own car and move out of the dorm. The minimum tank size at my college is 15 g, so there was no prob getting one. I'm gonna have my dad take care of the tank next year because I don't want to go through the trouble of moving it. I just have to show him what to do. Also, I wouldn't skip out on a college because it is to far away from your tank.

Craig Lambert
05/20/2006, 09:17 PM
You have the rest of your life to care for a tank. You have 4 years to go to college. You shouldn't even be asking this question imo. Forget it! Think about your education and college experience, this hobby should not be involved in a decission about where to attend school.

xtrstangx
05/20/2006, 09:25 PM
IMO, I would sell off your nicer corals to locals and make sure that you get a frag when you can give the tank more attention. In the mean time while your at college, turn the tank into a FOWLR with the easier corals (probably no SPS or clams). Your parents shouldn't mind feeding the fish every day and doing a little of the general maintenaince (fill up the topoff container, etc)

Then when you come home you still have a tank that you just have to add the corals too.

21Reefman
05/21/2006, 12:31 AM
You won't be in the dorm for more than a yr, I would leave it out until you move into a place you will live for a few yrs. i had a few friends with FOWLR and I had 3-6 african cichlid tanks at times in college. It will be in your house at some point that's for sure, just hold off a yr. Chicks DIG it too! Better than a Lava Lamp!

Cody Ray
05/21/2006, 12:40 AM
Don't let your aquarium decide where you are going to college (even if you REALLY want it to!). I of course am going to a community college so it isn't an issue for me ;)

nm354
05/21/2006, 08:40 AM
if you want a tank in a dorm just set up a nano for your desk. Then move into an apartment and get whatever size fits.

RichConley
05/21/2006, 08:53 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7406787#post7406787 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Craig Lambert
You have the rest of your life to care for a tank. You have 4 years to go to college. You shouldn't even be asking this question imo. Forget it! Think about your education and college experience, this hobby should not be involved in a decission about where to attend school.

Completely agree. I just finished school at BU 2 years ago, and I would not give up the 3 years I spent in the dorms for anything. Its a major life experience you shouldnt miss.

Biogirl361
05/21/2006, 09:53 AM
at my college the aquarium limit in the dorms was 30 gallons, but they locked the doors for 3 weeks over winter break so I'd always have to bring my tank home, it got to be a pain and hard on the fish too. Also if you have a roommate you have to keep an eye on them and make sure they know that if they and their friends are not allowed to touch the tank! If I did it over I would probably stick to something like a 12 gallon nanocube, small and easy to move and self contained. but to me college was definitly some of the best years of my life so far and i'd encourage you to go where you want, stay in the dorms for at least a couple years, don't let the tank stop you. you can never get back those college years, but once you're out you can set up another very nice tank :)

tkeracer619
05/21/2006, 10:07 AM
ditto to the last comment. i graduated 2 years ago, Can we go back :P. Man that was fun

chengj
05/21/2006, 11:38 AM
roomate tank? are your roomates interested in keeping one? i'm doing a tank with friends where everyone chips in and helps out with paying, maintainence, feeding, etc. everyone chooses their own fish and corals. since not everyone is always gone at the same time, the tank is always being looked after. just an idea...

Paul Burgess
05/21/2006, 08:06 PM
Get a girl friend and go to college WITHOUT EVEN considering a fish tank. Aquariums are cool, but not compared to the college expereince.

ste6168
05/21/2006, 08:32 PM
hey, i dont know- i have a girlfriend who is awesome to say the least, but i also have an aquarium, and also go to school at the best school for my major in PA (there is only two of them). So i feel that i have the best of all worlds. My tank is at home along with the girlfriend so i come home every other weekend to work, be with her, and the tank. During the week, my mom/dad feed the tank Monday, Wednesday, and Saturday and empty the skimmer cup via a John Guest ball valve I installed, if necessary. I do everything else on the weekends i come home... I think its great.

HTH, Mike

physicslord
05/21/2006, 08:48 PM
I had a 12g nano-reef in my office at school and it was more than enough work to keep it up and do college work.
It can be a lot of work constantly be taking it down, but with a few good moving supplies a 12 gallon isn't too bad. I never had a death because of a move.
Plus, people were really impressed with it. It made a good conversation piece.

You can stay in the hobby, you just need to downgrade in size.

Look at Sanjay.
He had a 40 gallon in his dorm that was featured in "Aquarium Dream Systems" the book.

Amy83820
05/21/2006, 08:49 PM
Don't worry about a tank. If you do the 'college experience' correctly, you won't have time for it anyway ;) College and dorm life will be some of the best times of your life. You'll have the rest of your life for a fish tank.

dodgersfan25
05/21/2006, 09:36 PM
i live in LA and went to college in SF and still managed to keep my 46 gallong going with some help from my sister. she just fed the fish and did water changes and everything continued to thrive. so i had an awesome time in college and still had my tank to come home to during the winter and this summer.