PDA

View Full Version : Who here has successful SPS tanks with some softies

kevensquint
05/21/2006, 02:57 PM
Since before my upgrade I have been debating whether or not to loose the softies (gsp,zoo's,colts) I love the look of SPS only, but the softies give some nice movement to the tank. If some of you have good growth and color with thier SPS tanks which contain some softies it would encourage me to continue a mixt tank. P.S yes I do use heavy skimming carbon and weekly WC's. ;)

iCam
05/21/2006, 03:23 PM
I wouldn't consdier what I had as an SPS tank, but I did have several SPS, mixed with softies and LPS. Anyways, I never had a problem.

If you're running carbon and doing regular waterchanges, I don't see any problem in it.

If you were trying to run a very nutrient depleted system, I don't know how all softies would fair, though. They might be fine either way.

tgcreef
05/21/2006, 04:00 PM
you should really use carbon if u are goin to do it because of all that gue and stuff that the lps and softies excrete can ruin an sps system anyway and plus i like he mixed reefs better, im not a fan of one huge discombobulated pile of stonys tank

ScotchMaster
05/21/2006, 04:30 PM
My reef is mixed and the SPS seems to be doing well....I do run carbon though and do weekly water changes

mikekman
05/21/2006, 04:43 PM
After I receive my order from Tubs this Tuesday, I'll have a ton of sps in my tank. I have a good number already at the moment.

I also have a lot of ricordias, zoos, and some blastos and acan. They all seem to be doing well.

I make sure to run carbon and do water changes.

I think you will have no problem with sps and softies in the same tank if you do wc's and use carbon. Be sure to use a skimmer as that will get out some of the chemicals the softies use.

Shooter7
05/21/2006, 08:13 PM
I just recently got a bunch of SPS frags from someone here on RC. My tank has quite a few rics, zoanthids, gsp, and shrooms. I also have a small toadstool leather. I'm pretty new to SPS, except for the monti cap that I've had for about a year and is doing great. I was wondering, I've read some stuff about leathers being an issue being kept with SPS. Should I get rid of it?

kevensquint
05/21/2006, 08:17 PM
Well I have 3 vareties of leather, including devil's hand. So far I must say that there are no real problems. But one always wonders if he can do better. Scotchmaster, I thought that was my dads nick-name.:)

iCam
05/22/2006, 08:27 AM
Sorry to go way off topic, but:

Shooter- I love your avatar and personal text! I don't know why "I'm being serial!" and "Guys, I'm super serial!" are so funny :D

AcroSteve
05/22/2006, 10:03 AM
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=790980&highlight=mixed