PDA

View Full Version : Best way to rid Paly's? Can you???

spankey
05/21/2006, 06:17 PM
I have some palys that are spreading all over a table of rock? They are getting close to my SPS? My question as mean as it sounds, how can I rid myself of these?

From reading they are deadly, so I guess I can't cut them off the rock with snips? I can't frag them to give away. Anyone ever rid themselves of palys before? Is there a way?

Thanks for your help.

I would try to save them, but they are a deep brownish and not that attractive. Again, I normaly would be against killing any type of coral, but these things are starting to get like xenia to me.. Taking over where it isn't wanted...ARGGGG

Thanks again!
Spankey

Azurel
05/21/2006, 07:10 PM
You can do the same thing you do to nuisance anemones....Take kalk past and inject them with it. They will shrivel up and melt away.

Pazazz
05/21/2006, 07:52 PM
I collect palys!!! What color are they? I might buy them from ya!!! Got a Pic?

spankey
05/21/2006, 08:05 PM
Pazazz,

That would be great but how would one get them off the rock? My fear is cutting them. They are severely toxic. I might end up doing the kalk paste?

Azurel? Doesn't the kalk enter the tank eventualy?I don't want that crap getting into my tank and spiking my PH and alk? How much do you inject?

Thanks
Spank

Pazazz
05/21/2006, 08:23 PM
Can you remove the rock that they are on? If so it is very easy to chisel the rock right below/next to them. THEY ARE ONLY TOXIC IF YOU CUT THERE TISSUE... THE SHOULD NORMALY CLOSE IF TOUCHED OR RUBBED. DON'T POKE THEM THEY CAN RELEASE SMALL AMOUTS OF TOXINS IN WATER BUT MOST CORALS THIS WILL NOT BOTHER. I have SPS and Palys, zoas in my tank. Some people can be effected more than others. I handle mine during fragging and just make sure I dont cut myself and wash hands with soap as soon as I am finished. It can make you sick or sting your skin if you are sensitive. You just dont want to touch your eye, mouth mucus membrane after touching them. You would be fine if you wear surgical gloves.. They can sting sps and damage it if in contact.... You should be fine though..

mbunaman
05/21/2006, 09:23 PM
I usually use tweezers to pull the green ones off they grow like weeds and choke out my other zoos. I pulled a bunch off and glue them to a rock for my friend who wanted them and they did just fine. I have a pair of tweezers that I stretched out a litte and grabbed the body towards the bottom and tore it off. Hope that helps. Where gloves for these they have a very sticky toxin.

Azurel
05/21/2006, 09:25 PM
You won't put that much into your tank....I take I think a 10cc hypodermic needle and fill it up with kalk mixed with RO/DI water and inject them with it. You could do so many at a time this way your not polluting your tank and getting to much kalk into your tank to change the parameters. I did it to some that have grown into a eagle eye colony of mine. I like the look of them mixed I just don't want them over taking the zoanthids. So when they begin to grow to much I kalk a few.

I have done what mbunaman has done also with good efficiency.

spankey
05/22/2006, 03:26 AM
Thanks!

ScotchMaster
05/22/2006, 10:12 AM
I also need to get rid of some paly's....They are taking over and are UGLY!