PDA

View Full Version : favite feeding

m3rcury
05/21/2006, 11:51 PM
hey folks. so, i'm new to LPS keeping. I just got a beautiful favite (pics will be posted tomorrow). but, it is growing up vertically and looks a bit like the trunk of a tree. i have two questions:

1) no matter where i place it in my tank, light will not reach every part of it. is this a problem? is it ok for part of it to mostly be in shadow?

2) how, exactly, do i feed this? i didn't want to trust the LFS without checking with the "experts" here first :)

thanks for the help folks.

reefnetworth
05/22/2006, 03:07 AM
part 1: some shaded area is ok but needs most possible lighting. keep off sand, you can cut a piece of PVC to stand it on to reach more light. REEF-ON!!!

reefnetworth
05/22/2006, 03:19 AM
part 2: Brine shrim. put in small dixie cup with tank water to liquify. pour through coffee filter to strain out the waste water. most Brine are frozen with phosphates in H2o. turn inside-out and rinse in tank with pumps off. wait about 20 min. turn on pumps. REEF-ON!!!

m3rcury
05/22/2006, 09:45 AM
great. thank you very much. my tank is a 40 breeder with 250w MH lighting. do i still need to lift the favite off the sand?

ScotchMaster
05/22/2006, 10:18 AM
Dont feed brine shrimp unless its enriched...My Favia likes Mysis and cyclopeeze a lot better....Brine shrimp is my last resort

m3rcury
05/22/2006, 01:55 PM
ok, sorry for the additional questions. the mysis shrimp that i get to feed my fish with are kind of large (maybe have the size of a grain of sand or so). late last night before i posted this thread, i tried to target feed the flavite by putting some of the mysis shrimp into a needle-less syringe and squirting into the feeder tenticles of the favite. the favite didn't seem interested at all and the shrimp just bounced off the tenticles.

now, i'm aware it might not eat for a bit since it was just added to my tank yesterday, but i took it as a good sign that the feeder tenticles were out everywhere. it was interesting that the feeder tenticles were extended further on the part of it that was in the shadow, while the part receiving the most light had the least extension on the feeders. is this because the area least exposed light needs more filter nourishment?

ScotchMaster
05/22/2006, 05:23 PM
All my corals prefer mysis over brine...When I throw brine in the feeders sometimes come out but when I feed mysis those suckers send out streamers to catch the floating mysis...

You can also feed small chunks of silversides