PDA

View Full Version : what chemicals are you using ???

ray22
05/22/2006, 09:23 AM
other than water changes and a kalk reactor and carbon . that is all i am using. should i be using any additives that may help? just wanted an oponion.. thanks

jda
05/22/2006, 09:36 AM
Don't use anything that you cannot test for. I also don't use anything where the manf won't disclose what is in their product.

You are fine.

samsfishnchips
05/22/2006, 10:08 AM
ray22,

there are many additives that can benefit a setup, but should be determine by the target setup (fish bioload, species kept, ect.)

for example if you are having problems with phosphates, then a phosban reactor can help you achieve colorful corals, not keep them alive and brown.

in some setups magnesium is low, and it can help make it harder to keep alk and calc in check, also its used in the tank

in other cases there is no to little coraline algae (if user wants it than thats a problem else no) many have seem explosive growth by supplementing with strontium,

have can't get their nitrate/phosphates down, and try vodka (with proper knowledge) and vodka provides a carbon source for the bacteria, and they explode in growth, eating more nutrients, but that bacteria needs to be skim out via a good skimmer. ect

many report good results while other said is just snake oil and doesn't make a difference with products such as salifer/kent amino acids / essential elements, iodine, iron (has been shown to be good for increasing macro algae growth), ect.

now there are filtration systems such as zeovit, prodio, which are bacteria driving and thus is added to the tank, these have followers with impressive tanks, and haters :D with impressive tanks also that said that is just snake oil, or people like jda above with comments such as "I also don't use anything where the manf won't disclose what is in their product."
and jda no offend intended

and on and on ray22

good luck,

sam

SunnyX
05/22/2006, 10:34 AM
10 Drops of Lugols Solution every week.

ray22
05/25/2006, 02:04 PM
thanks for your help

david8956
05/26/2006, 10:03 AM
SunnyX - curious, why the Lugols? What differences have you seen since you started using it? (I have had a bottle forever I just use for dipping new frags)

Ti
05/26/2006, 10:21 AM
I dose Ca

SunnyX
05/26/2006, 10:28 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7442737#post7442737 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by david8956
SunnyX - curious, why the Lugols? What differences have you seen since you started using it? (I have had a bottle forever I just use for dipping new frags)

Well I have yet to lose a coral so that is a good sign.

Seems to me that my corals color up much better when I started adding Lugols. I had a brown acro to to hot pink after about a month of Lugols.

Everything in my tank is colorful and thriving so I don't think ill change anything im doing.

thereefgeek
05/26/2006, 10:37 AM
Instant Ocean, Dow Flake, Arm & Hammer, and Epsom Salts :D

...and I test for all of them regularly!