PDA

View Full Version : I love spaflex

dtaranath
05/22/2006, 10:17 AM
I love spaflex. that's all I had to say.

...and unions. I love them too.

jmccalip
05/22/2006, 11:16 AM
Spaflex is only good 1" and under.

gobygoby
05/22/2006, 11:19 AM
I hate spaflex....

dkh0331
05/22/2006, 11:31 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7415188#post7415188 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jmccalip
Spaflex is only good 1" and under.

I have 1½” flex pvc to and from my basement sump. Works just fine. No real issues in installing it.

David

crash519
05/23/2006, 09:55 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7415199#post7415199 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gobygoby
I hate spaflex....

Please elaborate! And why is it only good in sizes 1" or less?

Ramble On Rose
05/23/2006, 10:13 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7415199#post7415199 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gobygoby
I hate spaflex....

same here. I would pay someone to come rip it all out and put standard pvc in....

It is good for short runs and tight spaces or where things dont line up perfectly. I have a lot of longer (over a foot) straight runs and it is just a pain in the butt.

AcroSteve
05/23/2006, 10:25 AM
There are good things and bad things about it. It is not a replacement for rigid. But, when used in certain places it is great.

My biggest problem with it is it's tendancy to get stiffer over time.

And obviously, I speak from experience. :lol:

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a159/sbowman01d/BackOf180Left.jpg

gobygoby
05/23/2006, 10:34 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7421747#post7421747 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by crash519
Please elaborate! And why is it only good in sizes 1" or less?

I hate spaflex because:

the glued joints arent very strong. they can pull out with a little tugging. spaflex works....but it is delicate. one joint I glued up and let it cure for 2 days!!! then when I was working on installing it I had to pull the slack and the stupid joint came unglued and it was pushed in ALL the way and I used the primer and glue. then I tested another piece to make sure it wasnt a fluke. Primed, glued and let sit for another 2 days....same thing pulls a part with little effort. I am currently using a little amount of spaflex, but thats becuase I had to in a few wierd angles. I just glued it and havent touched it since....I am too afraid :(

it can also be a pain in the rear to get all the way into a socket.

its just a pain to mess with and the glued joints arent very strong.

gobygoby
05/23/2006, 10:35 AM
AcroSteve, .
Do you own any stock in Spaflex? :lol:

BeanAnimal
05/23/2006, 10:43 AM
goby... did you use spaflex glue or PVC glue?

The only joints I have ever been able to pull apart are the ones made with standard PVC glue.

MarkS
05/23/2006, 10:52 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7421957#post7421957 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gobygoby
I hate spaflex because:

the glued joints arent very strong. they can pull out with a little tugging. spaflex works....but it is delicate. one joint I glued up and let it cure for 2 days!!! then when I was working on installing it I had to pull the slack and the stupid joint came unglued and it was pushed in ALL the way and I used the primer and glue. then I tested another piece to make sure it wasnt a fluke. Primed, glued and let sit for another 2 days....same thing pulls a part with little effort. I am currently using a little amount of spaflex, but thats becuase I had to in a few wierd angles. I just glued it and havent touched it since....I am too afraid :(

Everything I've read says don't use primer with Spa Flex. I have yet to have a joint pull out. I've never used primer and use regular PVC cement.

gobygoby
05/23/2006, 10:55 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7422025#post7422025 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BeanAnimal
goby... did you use spaflex glue or PVC glue?

The only joints I have ever been able to pull apart are the ones made with standard PVC glue.

SOB!!! I used regular PVC glue....the stupid guy at Lowes said thats what to use.!!

I HATE SALES PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!

every sales person on the face of the planet is a freaking idiot! How is a consumer supposed to be informed if the stupid sales people have no clue what they are talking about.

My favorite is when you go in some place and ask a question about something.....then the sales employees looks on the box for information or specs! I could have done that!!!!
sorry, I am done with my rant...back on track. guess I will have to give spaflex another chance with the RIGHT glue!

Goby

:strooper:

Ramble On Rose
05/23/2006, 10:59 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7422120#post7422120 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gobygoby
SOB!!! I used regular PVC glue....the stupid guy at Lowes said thats what to use.!!

every sales person on the face of the planet is a freaking idiot! How is a consumer supposed to be informed if the stupid sales people have no clue what they are talking about.

My favorite is when you go in some place and ask a question about something.....then the sales employees looks on the box for information or specs! I could have done that!!!!
sorry, I am done with my rant...back on track. guess I will have to give spaflex another chance with the RIGHT glue!

Goby

:lol: nice rant!

Yeah you need the light blue can. You can see it sitting next to the tank in AcroSteve's picture. Although it is hard to make out the can since it is turned sideways... But it is the closest one to the back side of the tank - front of the photo.

AcroSteve
05/23/2006, 11:01 AM
There is a glue that is recomended for the spaflex. I use it when I can, but I have not had any issues at all with the regular glue either. I always use purple primer 1st.

I ordered the glue from Savko when I got the hose. I have not noticed it at lowe's or other hardware stores.

Jason McK
05/23/2006, 11:03 AM
I've been gluing a lot of PVC and Spa Flex. I used the flex cement for the spa flex nd the regular for the rigid. I also used primer on both. I did make one mistake with the spa flex and a 90. I couldn't get them apart to save my life. I actually cracked the 90 trying.

Gave me a lot of confidence in my gluing

J

gobygoby
05/23/2006, 11:10 AM
maybe I got a bad batch of.........spaflex! :) ha

I am glad to know there is a "special" glue for spaflex.

dkh0331
05/23/2006, 03:40 PM
I remember reading that when gluing spaflex, that you really need to use the cleaner on the outside of the spafles. Something about the coating that it has and the cleaner removes the coating.

I use the cleaner, clear primer and the spaflex glue from savko and I have never had an issue with the connections not holding.

HTH

David

Cuby2k
05/23/2006, 04:40 PM
Wow I am glad I saw this thread. I think spaflex is great stuff but I have never had a problem with it. I use regular old Chrysty's (sic?) blue glue. It seems to hold well and it looks like the same stuff they used on my hot tub.

The nice thing other than fewer fittings, is the lower pressure drop. Of course that is do to fewer fittings but that's kinda the point, ain't it?

I will be examining the joints more closely now that I have heard of the potential problems.

Actually when I first saw this thread I thought it said I LOVE SPANDEX. AAAAllllrighty then. :eek2:

sfsuphysics
05/23/2006, 05:02 PM
I hate spa flex because for the cost of 1 foot of 1" spa flex I can get 10 feet of 1" PVC

HippieSmell
05/23/2006, 06:08 PM
I have used Oatey's purple primer and regular clear cement on a lot of 1.5" spa flex and have never had an issue. I must be lucky.

sushi chef
05/23/2006, 08:48 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7422120#post7422120 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gobygoby

Goby

I've actually never used SpaFlex, and have nothing to contribute, but that reaction was the funniest thing I've heard all day :lmao:

larryl
05/24/2006, 09:00 AM
Actually when I first saw this thread I thought it said I LOVE SPANDEX. AAAAllllrighty then. :eek2:

I love spandex.
(Sorry, too much time watching "I love the 80's" on VH1.)

pyro383
05/24/2006, 10:54 AM
I use spaflex where I need alittle give in the rigid plumbing & knock down vibration.

comatose
05/24/2006, 11:27 AM
I use FlexPVC and could never pull it apart even when i put one end in a vise and tried to pull the other end.
the best thing about it is no corners for water resistence and you don't have to glue a bunch of joints together. just both ends and your done.
I love the stuff.

Arik
05/24/2006, 01:28 PM
You definitely should use primer on Spaflex, and the bond will be as tight as regular PVC as long as you use a heavy duty or jelly like PVC cement. If it is too runny the glue settles in between the ribs of the spaflex and you get a weak bond.

I could probably swing from my plumbing if I needed to! Try doing that with rigid pvc!

captbunzo
05/24/2006, 02:30 PM
I loved SpaFlex. Then I caught it in bed with... Wait, no...

I did love spaflex. Then I used it a bunch. Now I relatively dislike it. It is not near as flexible as you might think and can actually be a big pain when you want a run to be pretty straight. Also, I have had glue problems EVEN when using it with Spa Flex glue.

Basically, I'll use it as a tool occasionally. But for me, nothing replaces regular PVC.

Now, the one place it is irreplacable is for reducing buffering vibrations to reduce noise. In fact, some short SpaFlex spans are great all over for that.

SERVO
05/24/2006, 04:47 PM
FYI:

If you heat up the spaflex at 200 degrees in the oven for 10 minutes you can twist and bend it into any position with relative ease!

captbunzo
05/24/2006, 05:02 PM
Hehe - that is a GREAT tip. :)

wbeavers
05/24/2006, 10:43 PM
I use a PVC Bender with ridgid pipe. It works great. This is a section of 1.5" pipe.
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d15/spsreef/DSCF0223.jpg

Cuby2k
05/24/2006, 11:00 PM
Hey Beavers, that bent pipe looks curiously like a preformed condensate trap for a cooling coil drain pan.

manderx
05/25/2006, 12:26 AM
count me as a hater. was helping a friend plumb his tank with some. some of the joints were solid, others just randomly popped out. plus i gotta wonder how much the ribs hurt the flow. might not be gaining as much flow as we think.