First my parameters 30 gal breeder

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate less than 5ppm
Ph 8.1
Phosphates 0
Temp 78-79 degrees

And is approaching 2 months old.

I haven't tested for Calcium/Alkalinity as I keep forgeting to buy the test. I have been dosing the tank with 2.5 ml of the B Ionic 2 part calcium/Alk.

Have some cyano bacteria popping up in some spots that I didn't think was low flow. Not sure how to change my flow around to prevent it from spreading. I have 2 rio 600s on the back glass and a rio 400 on the right side glass. Am I just at that stage where it going to happen and I just have to wait it out?

My snails are slowly finishing off my diatoms. I have 3 black turbos, 3 margarita, 1 astrea, and 5 nassarius snails. The diatoms haven't been spreading but the snails have all found themselves an area and stick to it and barely move from their rocks leaving others untouched. Do I need a few more?

I have some cactus halimeda growing on a rock. This stuff has grown almost 1/2inch in a week and a half. Is that a good thing or bad thing? I know it feeds off of calcium and thats why my LFS started me dosing small amounts of the bionic stuff. I have a toadstool, colt coral, zoa's, clove polyps, and some other stuff growing that is too small to say exactly what they are yet.

adnup
05/22/2006, 03:39 PM
"I haven't tested for Calcium/Alkalinity as I keep forgeting to buy the test. I have been dosing the tank with 2.5 ml of the B Ionic 2 part calcium/Alk."

FYI I dose 25ml's per day in a 90

4MB
05/22/2006, 03:50 PM
My LFS just had me start and has told me to start off small so that I dont get the calcium too high. My calcium was 430 when she did it prior to me buying my first coral 3-4 weeks ago. And with all the things growing off of my new life rock she thought it would be best to start a daily dosing. Once I get the tests (this week if I get a chance) then Ill up the dosing as is needed.

WaterKeeper
05/22/2006, 06:05 PM
Right On 4MB an important rule in responsible (and cost effective too) reefkeeping is don't add things that you don't test for. The small amounts you are dosing probably don't hurt but hold off wholesale additions until you run tests. I love Halimeda and if it is growing then there is probably enough calcium. It can be pruned after it gets long and used as an export mechanism.

jerehmy
05/22/2006, 06:08 PM
I would test for AKL and Cal for sure, My first cal test after self dosing was 620 and now after proper testing stays @ 480.

4MB
05/23/2006, 12:44 PM
Got the calcium test today. It was 400. So I am going to up the dosage a little bit to try to get it only a little higher. It should be between 400-450 right? Im not a bare minimum person so I want to be on the end.